2015 penny error???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tigerlady, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Tigerlady

Tigerlady New Member

Hello, I'm new to coin collecting so please be patient with me. I have a 2015 penny with the letter J after the word trust. I'm just wondering what type of error coin this is so I can try and research a bit further 20200523_094730.jpg .
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a J but it's not. Some anomaly on the Copper Plating.

Paredolia. Not a Mint Error of any kind.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

1. Welcome to CT @Tigerlady. That does clearly look like the letter J after TRUST, but as @paddyman98 stated, it isn't. During the year 1982, the U.S. Mint switched from minting cents on copper to a copper plated zinc metal (https://www.pennymatrix.com/2019/05/what-year-did-penny-change-from-copper.html) and that thin layer of copper on the coin causes all sorts of problems and anomalies. Pareidolia is the human mind wanting to see something that isn't really there, sort of like looking at clouds and seeing animals. We all do it so it's just human nature, but your coin is the clearest example of it I've seen. In studying the minting process, you can see that it would be almost impossible for that to be an actual letter. It's too small and nothing like the type letters used in producing the cent design, but keep on looking and have fun. Feel free to post and ask question like you have here. Good luck.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a plating blister that looks like a J to you. Common on Zinc Cents.

Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted