2015-P Louisiana ( Kisatchie ) Machine Doubling

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, May 29, 2016.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Sound better then MD, unless your a doctor ..
    SingleShot0001.jpg SingleShot0005.jpg A012 - 20160529_153932 (2).jpg A017 - 20160529_154154 (2).jpg

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Wow, that's really something. Thanks for sharing!

I just finished some old threads on CT about MD.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

I save all the machine doubling and pitch, all the strike doubling back into circulation .

5. Insider

I've been taught all these years that both words described the same effect. There was no "MD" in the 1970's. The mint employees called this characteristic "die bounce" or "strike doubled."

Can you please explain the difference as error collectors see it? I hate to be so ignorant on this topic.

6. Rick Stachowski

Sure, strike doubling is like you said, from a bouncing die, which, causes the effect ( I put a circle around the area of question ) Strike doubling also causes the area around the doubling, to have damage done too ..
    03.jpg
    You can see damage from the bouncing, that caused the area of question .

Now lets take a look at the Machine Doubling, area is nice and smooth from the doubling . I put arrows on this one .
    SingleShot0005.jpg
    As we can see, there's know damage around the doubling on the Machine Doubling .

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Stevearino likes this.
  7. Insider

@Rick Stachowski What you said about "damage" around the "doubling" makes no sence to me at all. I think you should have a talk with Bill Fivaz, or Mike Diamond BEFORE you pitch any more of those valuable coins away.

8. Rick Stachowski

I talk and show them all, to ken potter ....

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. Insider

...and if I understand you correctly...the nonsense (IMO) you posted in #5 came straight from Mr. Potters mouth? Let me know 'cause Ken's going to have some explaing to do when I show him a printed copy of this exchange.

11. Rick Stachowski

Sure,anytime ....

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Can you explain what causes machine doubling that is different from strike doubling? I'm not sure the picture and line at the bottom really make it clear.

13. Rick Stachowski

Everything is really caused from a loose die, just different stages of the loose die, once fixed, or tighten, all goes away ..

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Okay, that's a little more clear. Now, why is it that you keep the ones you are calling machine doubled?

15. Rick Stachowski

Now that single squeeze hubbing has taken over, less and less variety will be found . We will also have a whole new era of, variety experts too . Never know what the further holds ......

As for why do I keep one over the other, like everything else I try to collect, ( Early Die State )

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Insider

I agree with this as will all the young and OLD variety experts and U.S. Mint employees.

Now, I'm an old guy so please forgive me if I still don't understand your post. It would help if you could please answer my original question. What is the difference between STRIKE DOUBLING and MACHINE DOUBLING? In post #5, you say machine doubling shows "damage" around the doubling. In post #14 you say you only keep EDS coins. IMO, EDS has nothing to do with either SD or MD except it may change the appearance of the coin. IMO, NEITHER does damage. You seem to be a well respected and knowledgeable numismatist. As I always believed MD and SD were interchangeable to describe the same effect on a coin, I am still trying to get educated here!

Thankfully, we are all free to collect what we wish. However, it is a bit of a stretch if the new era of variety "Ex-PERTS" start making up nonsense. I still cannot believe a well regarded error collector and author taught you that MD and SD are different. :facepalm:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    robec and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. Insider

I got tired of waiting :facepalm: so I did a little research on my own. I was wrong in my post (old age caused me to forget)! EJECTION DOUBLING was the term I learned was used by the Mint staff. So that's was what we called it in the 1970's.

This is what I found on Wexler's site and sums up very nicely what I have always believed: "This form of doubling has been known by a number of different names over the years. It has been referred to as “ejection doubling”, “machine doubling”, “strike doubling”, “shift doubling”, and “shelf doubling”. If you see references to any of these, it is most likely mechanical doubling that is being referred to." I'll confess to never having seen one of these terms used before this so I learned something new.:)

And from Mike Diamond: Machine Doubling (a.k.a. machine doubling, machine doubling damage, machine damage doubling, mechanical doubling, strike doubling, shift doubling, ejection doubling) (ES, July/Aug 2006; CW 3/15/10)

EDIT :muted:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

If it was clear what part of the coin you are referring to I might get something out of this thread.

19. Rick Stachowski

Insider and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted