2015 March Of Dimes set price analysis

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoYoSpin, May 22, 2015.

1. YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin Active Member

Here are the numbers, derived from yesterday's average eBay prices on the March of Dimes set in various configurations:

- Sold directly from the Mint to the original owner: $61.95 plus shipping

- Original Mint packaging, sold on eBay 5/21/15: $97 (57% gross gain)
    - Original Mint packaging, sealed in original shipping box (5 in the box): $99 (60% gross gain)
    - Original Mint packaging, sealed in original shipping box (1 in the box): $140 (126% gross gain)
    - All 3 coins graded NGC 69 "Early Release": $119 (92% gross gain)
    - All 3 coins graded NGC 70 "Early Release": $330 (433% gross gain)
    - All 3 coins graded PCGS 69 "First Strike": $137 (121% gross gain)
    - All 3 coins graded PCGS 70 "First Strike": $410 (562% gross gain)

Conclusion: Least risks/highest gain = sell one set at a time in original mint packaging and in the original sealed shipping box.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

You promised analysis. All I see are data regurgitations. Where is the analysis? By the way, are the grading fees in the base for the slabbed ones?

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Collected, averaged, percentages computed. What more do you want, this early in the game?

Apparently not. It'll be hard to tell what each seller was charged for grading, but it clearly impacts the numbers unfavorably.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

Yep, if it works out like it usually does, unless they grade 70, slabbing is not worth it. Then I add to that the fact that I can't see the difference between a 69 and a 70, and I always get the same answer - leave it in the OGP.

Oops, the clever devil OP added the analysis. Well done!

6. onecenter

onecenter Member

Numismatic insanity.

I am happy with my one set. If I had never opened the box, my Homestead silver puck would have been forever trapped with my uncirculated mint sets and a roll of S-mintmarked Kisatchie quarters unseen forever. A life sentence for beautiful coins that would never have been enjoyed. A numismatic tragedy.

Hope1275 likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah, I'm NOT down with this "sealed box" garbage. I got three boxes ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL on the same day - no good way to tell which one was the set with the dimes!!!! If NGC is going to require sealed boxes, and they do, then the Mint had better distinguish which is which and not use identical boxes for everything.

8. onecenter

onecenter Member

Agreed. Sealed boxes seem to be quite the coin hysteria these days. Open those boxes collectors and enjoy what you bought!

9. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Really? You need to compare more 69's & 70's. I can usually tell the difference. Whether or not a huge price difference is justifiable, given a miniscule difference in eye appeal is another consideration. But, that's the current market.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

I've looked at thousands, and I'm convinced it's, you should pardon the expression, the flip of a coin. Worse, I've seen 69's that are far better, in my opinion, than some 70's from the same service. I can't pay for a difference like that. Not going to.

11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

True, I've never sent a coin to a TPG'er, big scam. Often you can find a 69 that's every bit as good as or better than a graded 70, so I don't have much faith in TPG'ers. Of course, I'm a numismatist that learned how to grade. The TPG'ers are for investors that have no interest in learning to grade/authenticate. I would love to see this hobby revert back to life without TPG'ers - one where two people test their skills to arrive at a negotiated grade & value.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

Since I have absolutely ZERO interest in competitive registry sets, all I use the NGC database for is to watch how my pieces do in so-called FMV over time. Even in a down market, the vast majority of my pieces keep going up, so I gotta figure I'm doing something right, or at least less wrong than most. Everyone keeps telling me I care about the wrong stuff, but theirs keeps declining and mine keeps increasing in FMV. I don't understand. :troll::kiss::troll: Or just maybe, THEY don't, huh?

13. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Sure there is. Log on to the Mint site and sign in. Click on "Mr Account" > "Order History" > click on the order number, and it will give you the tracking number that also appears on the package that the order was sent in.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted