2015 Kisatchie Quarter error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Olease, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Olease

Olease New Member

What happened to this quarter? Is it a mint error or faked?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is neither a mint error or a fake.
    It's called PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Looks like another smaller coin was pressed against the obverse to create the circular damage.

4. Olease

Olease New Member

How? I've never seen anything like this before.

5. paddyman98

Well now you have.. I have seen many.
    Only the person that created the damage would know how it was done. I just know it didn't leave the Mint looking like that.

Olease likes this.
  6. Olease

Olease New Member

Does it look like the word QUARTER has some doubling? That is the one part of this wacky coin that made me wonder...

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No. The strange look is due to the damage. I agree with @paddyman98 explanation. Somebody pressed another coin into it.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't understand how pressing a smaller coin against it would result in some letters being completely doubled. An example is the T in the word QUARTER. I can see how that process could cut some letters in half and move the remaining partial letter. But, some of the letters seem to be more than just the other portion of what was there originally.

Olease likes this.
  9. Oldhoopster

This coin has had at least 3 encounters another coin. You can the part of the IN GOD WE TRUST from a quarter along with 2 rim circles, some outlines of Washington and additional flattening along the top rim. Note how the reverse is flattened as well. If this was something that took place in the coining chamber, the reverse would be fully struck, not flattened.

Who knows how the coins were pressed together. Maybe some of the original transfer was reintroduced during the one of the other presses. However, with the mirrored incused devices, flattened rim, and flattened reverse. It could not have occurred at the mint.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

It is a mystery that only the person that created it knows how it was done. I have seen many altered coins over the years that seem to be mint errors that are actually not.

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Thanks Paddy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Olease

Olease New Member

Thank you folks for the input. Love this forum I am sure learning a lot.

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Any speculation on why none of the secondary strikes appear to be reversed?

PlanoSteve, Inspector43 and Olease like this.
  14. Olease

Olease New Member

My thoughts as well. QUARTER is clearly doubled. It looks like a dime pressed into it, but what is puzzling is the double QUARTER

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. paddyman98

It may seem that way.. But you have to look at it long and careful and you will notice it's actually not.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was up late looking at the eclipse, and my brain isn't working very well today.

I see two separate appearances of the word QUARTER, and neither one is mirror-reversed. What do you see?

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

The trick is looking at it upside down!
    Still looks like QUARTER..
    But backwards ;)

18. Oldhoopster

If you look closely on a large monitor, nearly all of the extra images are mirror-reverse. As mentioned, the QUARTER does appear normally twice. One possible explanation is during the 1st squeeze, the other quarter picked up a reverse image of QUARTER. On a subsequent squeeze, the reverse image QUARTER was transferred from the missing coin, back to the original coin.

If it occurred at the mint, how would you get multiple reverse images, with one extra normal image? And how would the reverse appear flattened? The reverse should be fully struck if it was still in the die chamber. And how could it happen outside the die chamber?

I’m OK if you don’t think my theory on the 2nd QUARTER is correct, but I cannot think of any way this could have occurred during the minting process. Somebody used to post on CT that we should focus on the question “How could this occur in the minting process” rather than “How can we explain the PMD”? That thought process makes sense when running across something different like the coin in the OP.

-jeffB and Olease like this.
  19. Olease

Olease New Member

If this coin could talk...post tramatic mint damage

20. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Looks like a Loomis coin rolling machine blowing a gasket or belt.

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

There used to be at least one recent poster who was trying to make error coins.
    Your damaged quarter can be recreated

First, it looks like they tried to squeeze the Obverse of a Dime against it. Which is the major circular indentation marks. Maybe a 1990 D dime?
    upload_2019-1-22_8-52-16.png
    Do you see the reverse of 09 there, left bottom with the Mint Mark just above it on the IB of Liberty? Also look to the right of that and you can see the reverse of "in god we trust" in similar placement of a dime. plus the lower neck outline with the designers initials. (Below reversed image for matching)
    upload_2019-1-22_9-14-51.png

You can actually follow the entire Roosevelt dime around the quarter .. back of his head becomes more evident in front of Washington's nose, etc.
    upload_2019-1-22_9-1-20.png upload_2019-1-22_9-13-27.png

They then did just a couple extra steps rather then just squeezing another singular quarter to create a reversed image against it. Notice the rim damage too so you can determine the placement of other items.

So .. other than explaining it in the Minting process - which isn't possible,
    we can also, if we pay attention to the markings on it (which this has several, not just one) we can recreate what happened to it after the fact.

When looking at PMD, you have to look at all the identifiers in front of you. Not as a Whole, or ONE damage. This one has several. Clear as day if you break down what you see.

If you know anyone that does metal stampings and collect coins, they'd probably tell you the same thing.

The biggest thing to remember in cases like this is the dime (or other quarter) is not flat. So it will be cantered to one side while squeezed and it will probably slip (which this one has), so some elements may be more visible than others, and the type/hardness of the two metals affects the outcome, etc.

I'll let you figure out how they did the QUARTER stamp. but it's easy for ppl that do metal forming. I actually created a DD Quarter before .. it was not one simple step though (fyi, I grinded it down).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Olease and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted