2015 High Relief Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dwhiz, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

there is already another thread going.

4. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

Where is Saint-Gaudens when we need him? All of the candidate designs are hideously cluttered.

Best Regards, :)

George

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I wasn't even aware of this.
    But I pretty much ignore any Mint items after 1964 (except to spend them).

6. giorgio11

Well, there is lots of money to be made (and lost) in those later issues. And now we are in year 51 since 1964. Maybe in year 75 or 90 some folks will change their tune about "so-called" moderns (those of us who are still around--I am at about 55 years in numismatics as well). Not being argumentative here, chacun à son goût as they say. I started a Registry Set of Kennedy halves about eight years ago and have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, and I believe the 1964 SMS coins, cent through dime, are some of the rarest coins struck in the second half of the 20th century. Having said that, there is also a tremendous lot of junk out there as well.

And speaking of artistry, I believe that Augustus Saint-Gaudens would roll over in his grave if he saw how the Mint has Barbie-ized his classic double eagle design on the modern American Gold Eagles. They slimmed her down and gave her a bland expression and blank eyes. What a travesty. It is a discredit to the Mint and Saint-Gaudens to call it a "rendition" of his design.

And thus endeth ye rant.

Best Regards, :happy:

George

rickmp and jello like this.
  7. LaneyTex1

LaneyTex1 Member

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Hum, not sure.

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I need to do my 5-year update on my caption.
    This is year 60 for me as a collector (but with gaps).

My "chacun à son goût" (I had to ask my wife what that meant) is silver Roosevelt dimes.
    I think they are less collected that even Jefferson nickels.
    One of these days the Mint will change the design and I'm ready :D
    Question is, "Will I still be around to cash in on that?"

10. giorgio11

I like Roosies too :happy:. Let's both hang in for another 40 or so, and in good health!

Best Regards,

George

phankins11 likes this.
  11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Hmmmm, can't find the place to change "55 Year Collector" to "60 Year Collector".

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Egad!!!
    Another 40 years and I'll be close to vying for oldest living person on earth.
    I'm currently 73.

Dave

Travlntiques and tommyc03 like this.
  13. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Hover over your screen name at the top of the page and click on Personal Details. It should be the 3rd item down, Custom Title, I think...

edit - forgot to say, after changing, remember to click save changes at bottom of page

14. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I found it and it worked.
    Thanks

15. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Wow, those obverses are terrible.
    I liked the comment on the forum about how they look like they were designed by comic book artists.
    So true.

Draft saved Draft deleted