2015 High Relief 24k Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 20, 2015.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They only use hair nets in the food industry Mel. devil.gif

That fellow has high hopes......:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

What is the deal with the price of 19K plus ? And what is PL Proof Like... Same thing i would have if I was graded by the same company as a 70... correct ?

4. green18

PL (proof like) means just that. An coin that's business strike in nature but has some of the attributes (mirrored fields) of a proof coin. Coins struck from fresh/new dies will appear to be such.........

5. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

When you talk about Morgan dollars, it used to be if you could read the first four inches of a ruler in the reflection of the coin it was proof like. Deep Mirror Proof Like was at six inches or more. (On both sides of the coin.) With these concave surfaces, it doesn't work that way. It distorts the reflection. What is a good way, if any, to test them now?

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I looked up his results... he has 4 70PL and 2 69PL

7. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

I just got mine yesterday and had ordered a day before.

jwitten likes this.
  8. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Does PCGS do "Proof Like" also?

9. jwitten

If they believe it is PL, they will

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd say start with the Morgan dollar criteria, but only look at the fields. After that, well, who knows? :)

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Someone may have commented on it in the last 8 pages but that sword is what is known technically as a 'bastard' sword. (can be used with one or two hands) and I doubt if that skinny lady could lift it with one hand, let alone wield it usefully.

Does this symbolise terrific military might held by someone too feeble to use it?

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

13. jwitten

He has several more... I would hate to be the guy who paid this price when he finds out there are probably several more.

14. green18

Smile when ya say that Englishman.......... devil.gif

15. Brian Calvert

Starting to wonder how true the sale of 30K of this coin was in the first few hours. Then they were down to a few thousand the next day, yet, not sold out as of yet ? I wonder if there wasn't a big purchase that got cancelled. Or someone trying to manipulate the excitement...
    You just cant trust anyone these days...

midas1 likes this.
  16. They may be getting inundated with returns.

17. Brian Calvert

Do they just roll them over to the next person if one is returned for a blemish ? Melt and blank again ?

18. That is a mystery. Some say melt and some say no.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I took mine to the ANA Money Show in Chicago today. No one I could find, would even pay me what I paid for it. $1400 from MCM was my best offer. I just received it less than a week ago. I'll send it it back and ask for my credit. I didn't buy it to flip but I didn't care for it upon inspection. I thought I could at least earn my credit card points if I break even. That didn't happen.

green18 likes this.
  20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

My coin was absolutely flawless even after looking at with a high powered magnifier. Didn't like the obverse liked the reverse very much.

Sent it back Saturday w/ no regrets.

It's still available on the Mint site.
    Wonder if this will be a bullion coin value.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but nothing beats the old Neoclassical designs of the 1800s. If only artists were still trained in that school...

Draft saved Draft deleted