2015 High Relief 24k Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 20, 2015.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I am going to wait to get mine graded later when NGC offers the Retro Black holder option in the fall. Gold looks really good in those holders.

2011-Gold Eagle_Retro-Holder.JPG

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    midas1 and mikenoodle like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I like the retro too. Is there any way to get early release plus black holder?

4. McBlzr

You would probably have to send it in now for early releases & then send it back in in the fall to be re-holdered in the Retro Black holder for an additional fee.

5. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

You should buy all 50K pieces and corner the market..;) then sell the PR70s for $5k ea...:greedy:

6. jwitten

Where is the info about the retro holders? Would I have to pay to re-grade, or just re-holder?

7. McBlzr

Here is the link to last years Retro holder offer. It usually has been late Aug to early Oct when they offer it. Usually ending Dec. 31st.

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4204&NGC-black-retro-holder-program

I don't think they would regrade it just re-holder it for a fee.

You could ask the question on the NGC Collertor's Society forums.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=5&PHPSESSID=

8. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Shows unavailable - Guess it sold out...

9. Brian Calvert

That was way too fast. We were thinking it over, waiting to see, etc... Guess it is like anything else. When you should, you don't, when you do, there is always a problem or wasn't worth it. Someone bought a load of them from many households of the same family. Cornered the market...

10. jwitten

Reported as selling over 35,000 and now on backorder. Will be available again. Not sure why they don't just take 50,000 orders when it is hot.

11. Brian Calvert

You the Ex Cowboy ?
    Gees, see pre-orders for the NGC MS-70 at $1999.00 and 5 of 6 sold already. I was going to do that and then seen ships via first class mail... :woot:

12. jwitten

Ex? And what is wrong with first class mail? As long as it is insured it will be OK.

13. Brian Calvert

LOL... Well, you use to get good fantasy points, once you fall off of the scale... you know...

14. jwitten

Lol. I'm not him. I get asked about him a lot though, since we are from roughly the same area.

15. Brian Calvert

I had put myself on the remind me and never received an email. I will try again, also going to get the kennedy half. Thanks for the info and have a great season.

16. jwitten

These are for sale again. If you want one, go for it.

17. Brian Calvert

WOW... All of a sudden they are taking back orders. Got a couple... Hope it is ok with our group... I do now have a huge question ? So you join NGC, send the coins off for grading. Will all of these be MS-70 ? How low could it go ? Could you wait and send off for the black case (which is commented on here) really is better looking...

18. Brian Calvert

Funny seeing your post, I had did several remind me... Then went back to add another one and wahla...

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

One is enough for me. I'll go for PCGS First Strike and hope for a PF70. They always do well. If it arrives in time, I'll take it with me to the ANA Money Show in Chicago. I like the fact they have put a monetary value of $100 on it. Nice to know that since they are charging us $1500 for it. All we have to do is make up the $1400 difference. Worst case scenario, it goes into the Salvation Army bucket at Christmas. :>)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    green18 and jwitten like this.
  20. Brian Calvert

First Strike is another grading company ? I am sure there is a friendly rivalry on here...

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have equal slabs from both companies. But I did triple my money on the 2009 high relief coin in the First Strike PCGS 70 slab. I wouldn't care though if NGC would give me a PF70 over PCGS. I don't personally don't see any difference.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted