2015 High Relief 24k Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 20, 2015.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

How so?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

It's very bland, lifeless. I could go on but I won't.

4. I.L. McDougal

I.L. McDougal Active Member

I was originally "in" on this product without pause, though I will readily admit that after seeing the decision in design, I will most likely be "out" at this time. A few factors might be able to get me back onboard, such as low gold price at the release time or a low mintage (50,000 or less), but I will more than likely be passing (unfortunately... I wanted to like this coin).

In my opinion, out of all the designs available, this was one of the most bland and unimpressive and I am actually in a slight state of confusion and disappointment in the ultimate choice of the Mint.

There were some seriously outstanding designs proposed during the concept stage, and had any of those been chosen, the Mint would more than likely have a check waiting from my end.

5. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

I do like the sword. I think I'm in if just to encourage the mint to keep our Lady Liberty at the front for more designs.

6. Update: Product page now states sale date of 7/30/15 and a mintage limit of 50K. TC

medjoy likes this.
  7. I.L. McDougal

A push to the left like that makes me think of lower gold for Christmas...?

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Did you notice they increased the weight to an oz and raise the denomination from $75 to $100? Now we will have three one oz gold coins a $50 .917 fine, $50 .999 fine and $100 .999 fine.

mikenoodle likes this.
  9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

They also apparently removed the high relief silver medal that was going to utilize the same design. Way to go U.S. mint with alienating those who don't want to or simply can't afford to shell out the money for a one ounce gold coin in this design.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Way to go Lamborghini for not producing a car within my budget... gah!.... Why does the mint have to produce the same thing for every budget? I like some things out of some people's reach. Gives you a goal to strive for.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

sgt23 likes this.
  12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

It was already planned and listed on the mints website for almost six months before suddenly being removed from the product schedule. The designs were voted on at the same time as the gold coin. I'm glad you enjoy alienating collectors who may not be able to afford a gold coin such as those on fixed incomes or YN's. People whose goal perhaps might just have been affording that high relief silver medal because they couldn't afford the gold offering. But too bad right; go gold or go home.

13. I think the silver may be on hold until 2016. TC

14. onecenter

onecenter Member

I am glad to see the denomination is a full $100 Union. Unfortunately, gold has not been in my collecting budget since 1989. I had planned to buy the gold Kennedy but have not done so.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IIRC, the Mint said that they were going to issue the gold coin with a (throw-in) silver high relief coin as well.

I wonder what happened to that idea, because if they follow through on it, the throw-in coin will become the new version of the 1995-W Proof SAE.

16. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I agree with your sentiment. It may sound odd but the part I like best about the obverse is actually the LIBERTY in large letters. After that I'm just not a fan of the obverse. I'm kind of like you, I really wanted to like this one. You shouldn't have to stare at a coin and try to find reasons to like it. I want to be instantly attracted to it. I feel bad to discredit whoever designed lady Liberty here but it looks like she's just kind of standing there for a photo shoot and doesn't want to be there. It's lifeless.

We're used to the St. Gaudens design where Liberty is aggressively marching forward out of the coin. This pose is seriously lacking. I also think the background left bare was not a good choice. Some may think it would get too busy, but the background being void of anything seems to exemplify the "Liberty doesn't want to be there" look. This is probably why St. Gaudens didn't design Liberty just standing there.
    I'm neutral on the reverse. Don't love it, don't hate it. Low mintage alone isn't going to drive me to want to get one just because other people want to compete to flip/profit off them.

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Lmao!

micbraun likes this.
  18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'll pass as well. I can think of too many other gold coins I would rather buy before this one. It's a nice design and all but it's just not my style. angel7.gif Reminds me of one of my lady friends, Joan Collins. laughhard.gif joan_collins.jpg 2015-W-100-American-Liberty-High-Relief-Gold-Coin-Obverse.jpg 2015-W-100-American-Liberty-High-Relief-Gold-Coin-Reverse.jpg angel7.gif

midas1 likes this.
  19. I.L. McDougal

I've made the decision to commit to not buying the coin, despite the 50k mintage at this point. Like you said, I won't be forced into a collector's coin if I'm unhappy with it on a collector's level.

For me, gold collecting is really about shifting funds. In this instance, I had set aside the speculative purchase price of this coin (which I contributed to buy selling some silver bullion at gain), which I will now simply retain and use to purchase the proposed silver coinage remakes (Standing, Walking, Mercury) that the Mint is striking in gold (hopefully) next year.

I'm very excited by this development and I hope for low mintage product options on those coins as well.

20. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Nope not for me.......I'll pass

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

According to the Jun 27th Coin Word article the silver medal with the same design is still a go.

Blissskr and mikenoodle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted