2015 High Relief 24k Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. chip

chip Novice collector

It may be a flipper for the flippers, but I do not care for the design, Miss Liberty looks like she was produced through an illustration and not a sculpture, on the reverse the eagle has that similar illustrated and not sculpted look, plus the eagle is missing the arrows, maybe they should have had a drawing of a dove for the reverse?

LJRambo111, imrich and Taxidermist like this.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't know. It looks better than a lot of modern commems, but that's not a high bar to hit. :) I did notice it seems to have 2 sets of designer initials on both sides. Maybe that's why we're having an overall "meh" reaction to it.

4. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

wait for secondary market

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Wow, this coin has 4 initials. Kinda over kill

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Meh, maybe. I like the designs, but I agree about the initials graffiti'd all over it. I can't imagine that it'll have nearly the after-market performance of the 2009 St. Gaudens HR, though.

7. jwitten

These were my choices... would have been beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. -jeffB

I do prefer that obverse, although I think I prefer the torch to the sword.

I think the arrows on the reverse look busy and out of place. Pretty sure I prefer the one they picked, although I seem to remember there were other candidates I liked better.

I sure wish we could see more designs in this vein. Heck, I wish they'd appear on our circulating coinage, in place of our current hero-worship.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not in...........

10. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

I'll take a few.

11. -jeffB

Better pay for them first. ;)

throwbackid likes this.
  12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

May or may not. I probably will grab a couple of the silver medals but depending on where golds at and the premium the mints asking I may skip the gold offering.

13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I would buy it... If only I had enough money to afford coins with a 4 digit price tag :)

14. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I'll pass.........again.

Tater likes this.
  15. I like the eagle on the reverse, but the obverse was not my first choice. Interesting, this is the sort of reaction I expected on these. Hmm...potential low mintage? Could be a sleeper especially if gold dips at time of release with people focused on a lot of other Mint releases and holidays at end of year.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    medjoy likes this.
  16. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

I'm liking it more as I look at it and realize it's an updated version of the original St.G -- Full Liberty figure with torch (flag added), with her olive branch moved to the reverse in the westward flying eagle's talons.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  17. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

I'm with JW, I guess the sword would have offended two or three people.

O-12-Cw.jpg

18. -jeffB

As has its omission, apparently.

19. jwitten

Not really. I just like the design of the one with sword better. Me not liking the one picked has nothing to do with it not having a sword.

20. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

This design is horrible!!!!

2015-High-Relief-24K-Gold-Coin-Candidate-Design-HR-O-03-C-510x660.jpg

wmichael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted