2015 Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TopcatCoin, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Let us know the quality when it comes in Spenser. I've heard there are lots of small frost breaks on most of these.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spenser

spenser Active Member

Will do Chief. My daughter got me a new toy to play with; a lighted coin microscope. Amazing what you can see with it!

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  4. spenser

spenser Active Member

OK. My Ike set was delivered today. The obverse under 10X mag. shows one small frost break at 4 o'clock right between his earlobe and top of collar. The reverse is a different story. At the right angle you can see several small pinhead frost breaks. Overall the set is OK. The medal looks perfect as does the stamp. The mint needs to tighten up on their quality control.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  5. spenser

spenser Active Member

This set will definitely stay "raw"

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I believe that big dealers used automated order placing software that caused the web issues on the mints site especially with the Eisenhower site. Also of interest to me was the part where he mentions about certain coins ending up in Ex. mint directors, employee's, etc collections. This is an area where I think the government should step in and reclaim many of these pieces. Often public employees used their positions whether intentionally or not to obtain these pieces that should be property of the U.S. government/we the people and they belong in a museum not private collections and sold for profit by ex mint employee estates imo.

LJRambo111 and stoster38 like this.
  7. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I saw that this morning. My issue wasn't so much with the mintage or the perception that dealers might be getting preferential treatment. My issue is with the horrible performance of the Mint website & app. I was on the website & logged in before the set went on sale. I ordered but when it came to checking out that's where the site failed. I tried a dozen times but the order would not complete. Eventually the set sold out. This is not the first time the Mint has had this problem. I don't understand why they can't get this right.

8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I believe they should or could limit the number of orders coming from a single IP address and it would at least limit those with multiple accounts and shipping addresses.

9. LJRambo111

LJRambo111 ASE Proofs / 24K Buffalos

Corruption has always been an issue and will always be an issue with the US Mint. With government comes corruption. Even the waiting lines that were in effect last year were unfair. I know of 5 or 6 collectors who were in the waiting lines that got conflicting wait times.

The US Mint causes this hype when they release only 17,000 mintage for a proof set that had a history of sales in the millions. Remember the safety issues that arose last year when the mint released the 2014 Gold Kennedy? The greedy dealers proved again that they would do anything to block out the standard population from obtaining one of these pieces.

All companies have insider trading. But you can increase it 10 fold when greedy educated are running it or greedy dealers are manipulating it.

The problem is that information is spread quicker now than ever in history. So the greedy individuals have to get more creative to profit. Why doesn't the mint compile a group of collectors to define a direction for all upcoming releases?

I knew the 2015 Reverse Proofs would be a highly sought after. The mint doesn't need any other proof to see that the greedy dealers are getting more creative and hoarding any coin that has a potential to be desirable.

Really 17,000.00 for a series that had a history of sales in the millions? I have some for each release so far but I am not confident about the rest of the series.

All of us are smarter than any one of us! The US Mint needs to compile a board of collectors to vote on the future direction of all upcoming mintages and distribution policy’s.

After all shouldn’t the US Mint be responsible for safety and equitable distribution for their products, to all of the public?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  10. LJRambo111

11. stoster38

stoster38 Member

LJRambo111 likes this.
  12. LJRambo111

NGC posted their grading results for the 3 sets of reverse proofs Truman has been at 88 PF70's, Eisenhower is at 10 PF70's and Kennedy is at 65 70's Woo Hoo.

[​IMG] 2015 P REVERSE PF $1 HARRY S. TRUMAN PF Graded a total 1459 (88 PF70's)
    [​IMG]2015 P REVERSE PF $1 DWIGHT EISENHOWER PF Graded a total 941 (10 PF70's)
    [​IMG] 2015 P REVERSE PF $1 JOHN F. KENNEDY PF Graded a total 1634 (65 PF70's)

13. spenser

spenser Active Member

I have the Eisenhower and Truman. Don't want anymore.

14. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I only wanted the Eisenhower because I like Ike. But I was caught in the ordering fiasco on the release day and didn't get one. I was able to get one on eBay for $135, so I beat the prevalent price (for today). Won't be buying any of the others, I don't think, until maybe Reagan.

Rob

15. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

I'm going to wait for Regan too.. I'm waiting for Obama, so I can put him on the "Train Tracks".

Tater and Cascade like this.
  16. spenser

spenser Active Member

I'd like to get a Reagan too for my daughter. Her favorite president. But that's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted