2015 D State Quarter with a slightly rotated reverse

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cowinthehole, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Cowinthehole

Cowinthehole Active Member

I found this coin pretty recently when I was looking through a couple quarter rolls that I got from a convenience store and was wondering what you all think it is worth. (Definitely has been circulated - decent bit of small scratches but all details present and not smudged)
    e.jpg ee.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think that the tolerance is 15 degrees. yours is about 5.
    Put it in a flip oriented correctly and then take a few photos.
    Utah has a 180 degree rotation.

4. Cowinthehole

What do you mean by "flip oriented correctly" sorry, I'm quite new to this

5. Cowinthehole

If you're saying to hold it then flip (Have obverse correctly straight) then I had already done that (The pictures above were taken while doing that -- I set down the coin carefully to take the photo so it would be more obvious of the rotation)

6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I’m sure you did. But the best way is to take a picture of the coin in a mirror.

Put it in a 2x2 to orient, then stand it up against the mirror to take the shot. It shows the obverse as the baseline and the degree of rotation of the reverse in relation to the baseline.

As noted, the tolerance for rotated dies is 12-15 degrees, yours looks maybe 15-18 degrees. But most interest is generated beginning at 45 degrees, and the maximum rotation is 180 degrees. 1 degree either side of 180 is said rotated 179 degrees to the left or right (said 90 degrees to the left, not 270 degrees clockwise, although, if you said “rotated 270 degrees”, most members would figure out what you meant).

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Rotation within tolerance..
    Still worth 25 Cents

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Posting Full Image photos that are cropped to just show the coin will get more feedback.
    As mentioned, use a mirror so the degree of the rotation is noted, but also as mentioned, it seems to be well within tolerances.

9. Cowinthehole

I tried to do it with the mirror and idk if I was doing it wrong, but I could never get a great photo of it, would a video of it work?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Well, this coin is moot, keep practicing, get someone to help. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and presume you are using a phone cam. Your practice effort will pay off for future coins/future posts, and you should be able to get an acceptable picture with just a phone cam. Try to produce a static pic first, then play with doing a video.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can't upload a video as is here.. unless you post it to YouTube then copy the link and paste it in a new post on your thread.. Too much work.

Draft saved Draft deleted