2015 D Nickel with 110 degree die rotation

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jeff Beatty, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

I found a 2015 D Jefferson Nickel with Monticello tilted 110 degrees...made my head spin when I flipped it over!! I've searched probably 500 nickel rolls in the past 3 months and this is the only one I've found. I've seen another one (on eBay) a few weeks ago...it sold for $146.00.

Anyone else spot one of these?

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn't happen :p

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

A more true statement has never been made.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

An easy way to take photos showing the rotation is to place it in a cardboard 2x2 with a staple on each of the (3) open sides. Make sure you place the coin upright so it aligns with the unstapled (4th) side. This way you can show the rotation by referencing the unstapled side. (Note: Use a cardboard 2x2 that is the same size as a nickel so the coin doesn't move around.)

Chris

Rich Buck likes this.
  6. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

110 ... is that like 70 in the other direction?

7. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Here are the pics. Next thing you will ask me to go get a mirror...trust me, this is not a hoax.

Attached Files:

Rich Buck, Spark1951, Swan and 6 others like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Very nice. :)

Spark1951 and Jeff Beatty like this.
  9. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

See photos. When the coin is flipped vertically, Monticello should be level. If Monticello is on it's side...that's a full 90 degree die rotation error. In the case of my coin, Monticello is rotated past 90 degrees and it's starting to be upside down. If it were completely upside down, that is 180 degree (maximum) die rotation error.

My opinion...there simply CAN'T be too many of these out there. The lines couldn't have been running too long before a quality check would catch the die spinning out of position.

10. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

I simply added a 2nd staple at 6pm on the obverse which becomes North when flipped over.

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Nice one! I can't tell if it's full steps, though.

12. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

I was thrilled to catch this! It almost got swept off my sorting table but luckily I was paying attention and following my coin flipping protocol!

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the pic, either, but I'd bet on yes. With the ultra low relief they use these days, it seems like a majority are full steps anymore.

14. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

It IS full steps but the obverse is the typical mess for this very vulnerable design. I'm no expert, but I try really hard...I would call it AU50 (safe) due to a gash in Jefferson's chin (larger than a bag mark) and too many scratches in the obverse field. The reverse is better with the full steps, about 4 scratches in the columns....but then you see the massive rotation & that changes EVERYTHING. I do love searching Nickels!

Rich Buck likes this.
  15. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

You are correct it has full steps. But Full steps isn't hard to find or impressive on the post 2006 design. It's the OBVERSE that is so difficult. I think this is the most vulnerable major denomination coin in all of our lifetimes. You just can't find a choice AU55 in circulation because the huge field shows every touch and loses luster fast. In 30 years we will see plenty of FS nickels from 2006-2016+ but watch...the front side of these coins will look like crap!!

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, it looks like it is rotated about 160 degrees or so. Nice find!

Chris

17. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Guess what....I have found a 2nd one! It's almost an EXACT copy of the first. I probably searched about $600.00 worth of bank issued coin rolls (12,000 coins) before finding the 2nd one. Both 2015-D's. Even though it took 12,000 coins to find another one, this tells me there must be a substantial amount of these die rotation errors out there...is anyone else seeing these??

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Very cool! I like

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yup. Pretty cool. Just wish it wasn't on that zombie-jefferson coin. I hate that obverse as much/if not more than the shield cent reverse.

20. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Same here!! I also believe it's a tremendously vulnerable design on the obverse. There is so much empty field space to the right side of Jefferson's face....as these coins circulate, every single contact leaves evidence. It's extremely hard to find gem quality specimens. In 20 years...this will work in favor of coin collectors who preserve uncirculated specimens.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  21. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Here are photos of the 2 coins side by side....

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted