2015 Commemorative coin missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Jan 22, 2015.

?

2015 Commemorative coins you would of liked to seen

Poll closed Dec 22, 2015.
  1. 100 years from Pan-Pacific

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. 50 years from start of Vietnam

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. 150 Years end of Civil War

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  4. 100 years sinking of Lusitania

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 25 years since Iraqi invasion

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 100 years ago Alexander Graham Bell made a phone call

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. 200 years Battle of New Orleans ends

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. 10 years ago Youtube is launched

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  9. 100 years ago Babe Ruth debuts and hits 1st homerun

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  10. 75 years ago Tom and Jerry cartoon Created

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Don't worry about cartoons, the USPS has beat that subject to death.

krispy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

May I draw your attention to a dual dated gold half dollar issued last year?

Not to mention we just had a Baseball comemorative.

Don't like the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War? Give it a Southern viewpoint, the 150th anniversary of the death of Lincoln.

SCDigginWithAK and jay4202472000 like this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

You need to think about promotional prospect for these. Slab labels, signatures, the first coin struck in color, cross-licensing opportunities, and a design that is least likely to be botched by the mint. Tom and Jerry is the only one that fits the bill here. Hanna and Barbera are no longer with us to sign labels, but others who have directed, produced, and drawn T&J are still with us.

bkozak33 likes this.
  5. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Waffle House - 60th Anniversary.
    Need I say more?

Some other themes I'd like to see are an endangered species, and big achievements by the US such as in the fields of medicine or engineering or technology.

6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I selected the civil war and Battle of New Orleans because it would have commemorated *the end* of each, and an end to war, any time, is a good thing to commemorate.

tommyc03 and bkozak33 like this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Well we did miss the 50th Anniversary of the last Bullwinkle
    show
    American animated television series that originally aired from November 19, 1959, to June 27, 1964,

green18 and bkozak33 like this.
  8. krispy

krispy krispy

+1 And that's no bull! :D

dwhiz likes this.
  9. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I for one would love to see a Golf commemorative coin, we can even include Obama on it. Best of both worlds in my opinion, a president and a sport. GO LIBERTY!

For real, for real, though, a golf ball TEXTURED and CURVED coin, come on, you know you would buy one too.

10. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Love this idea. Coins are history. I think the Lincoln assassination ranks pretty high on the "points in history" list. What would you come up with for the design? It would have to be tasteful. I think a lot of southern, Civil War enthusiasts would jump all over this coin. It may piss a lot of folks off though.

11. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

We also have the 50 year anniversary of clad coins

SCDigginWithAK likes this.
  12. krispy

krispy krispy

The Lincoln wheat cent was already his recognition in coin. There's also several different series of paper currency Lincoln has appeared on. Then the 1959 design change with Lincoln on both sides of the cent! Then we have the 2009 design changes to the cent, with four new reverse designs, some feature Abe on both sides... PLUS a silver dollar issued as a 2009 commemorative. Next up, Abe is still on the Shield cent and in 2010 also appears on the golden $1 coin... Let's move to Postage Stamps... too numerous are they, and not my area to quote how many exist to memorialize the great slain man. Edit: And there's the 1918 half dollar, classic commemorative issue.

A southern perspective, while a novel idea, is really not in the taste nor tact of the Union victors to promote that angle. You are asking for the US federal government to offer us something that would have been in the interest of Booth supporters-- even the South denounced the assassin! Besides this, it surprises some as to how soft the market values are for what limited coins and currency exist from the nascent Southern state amongst today's collectibles market.

Tasteful would indeed be the difficult point. There are plenty of people who still honor and support their ancestors struggles in that conflict. Was it tasteful to produce numerous Kennedy 50th Anniversary coins in 2014? Marketing insured it was to acknowledge 50 years of the design, but let's just remember why the original coin for Kennedy came into existence. While many of the Kennedy family from that era have since passed, not one do I recall called for the 50th coins creation nor showed up at a Mint promotional launch ceremony or coin show to support it, nor has been photographed receiving or holding the coins publicly.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. krispy

krispy krispy

...And we have a surfeit of ancient coins made of base metals still littering the earth 2000+ years on.

Next idea...?

14. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

First pets of the white house? Lady bird, lbj's hound, etc.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

"Lady bird" was Mrs. Johnson's nickname, not her pet.

Got anything else? Put some deeper thought into this before replying. ;)

16. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I believe the dog was named lady bird also

17. krispy

krispy krispy

What reality are you living in? Who would refer to a dog by the same name as this woman, in the same family!

Read up - Johnsons' dogs

18. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Thats fine. But the mint should consider commemorating the first pets.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Why? What is the reason for that? To support some animal rights organization? If so, then those agencies would need to propose it to legislators for a vote.

20. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

You say why, i say why not. This was suppose to be a fun thread about commems, not the krispy shoots down every idea with logic thread.

21. krispy

krispy krispy

I'm fine with "why not", I just want to know what justifies it, as any other commem always has a reason, such as to raise money for a charity or recognize the good it has done for society. (e.g. The March of Dimes). So what have presidential pets done to deserve your suggestion that they appear (in a series) of commemorative coins?

It has been a fun thread, but you need to justify some of the reasons behind your ideas. The Mint is overly ambitious in milking collectors through easily marketed NIFC collectibles and it's doing nothing for the hobby. Their lack of preparation and willingness to exploit media attention last summer over the 50th Kennedy gold coins is a good example of the peak of their greed.

If you aren't having fun, then maybe you need to put more thought into your suggestions that are so easily trumped. I asked for your reasons to have presidential pets on commemorative coins and just like your other idea that lacked even basic background knowledge (i.e. Lady bird as a dog name), you've shown no forethought in the one tossed out for pets. I understand brainstorming for ideas but this is becoming mindless.

The Mint in the classic commemorative period pulled similar marketing stunts and killed the program when collectors caught on. In the modern revival collectors are slowly coming out of the sheep phase and starting to see the cracks in the commemorative program again. Poor ideas from the public are not what we need, unless you can say why you suggest something that would appeal to others and help those the coins are deemed to benefit in their creation. That they benefit collectors alone, is not sufficient.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted