2015 Commemorative coin missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Jan 22, 2015.

?

2015 Commemorative coins you would of liked to seen

Poll closed Dec 22, 2015.
  1. 100 years from Pan-Pacific

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. 50 years from start of Vietnam

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. 150 Years end of Civil War

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  4. 100 years sinking of Lusitania

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. 25 years since Iraqi invasion

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 100 years ago Alexander Graham Bell made a phone call

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. 200 years Battle of New Orleans ends

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  8. 10 years ago Youtube is launched

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  9. 100 years ago Babe Ruth debuts and hits 1st homerun

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  10. 75 years ago Tom and Jerry cartoon Created

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

It looks like 2015 is bringing us the U.S. Marshal coins, but there are some other significant anniversaries in 2015, that the mint could of commemorated to get their hands on more of our money. Which would you of liked to seen? vote for as many as you like, or add your own.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    medoraman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Cool poll. It will be interesting to see the answers.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Youtube and Tom and Jerry already getting votes? Come on now

phankins11 likes this.
  5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

It wasn't me! I actually picked End of the Civil War and Battle of New Orleans.

jwitten likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I picked Civil War and Alexander Graham Bell. The Civil War peace is just too big to ignore, but personally I am sick and dang tired of either military themes or dead politicians. I am sorry, but almost no politician ever changed our country and world for the better than inventors of airplane, the telephone, the movies, electricity, etc. Let's glorify those who build and beautiful this world more than a bunch of self righteous politicians. I would donate to a PAC to try to get a law passed banning forever any politician to be portrayed on any coin or note ever again.

phankins11, Jwt708 and bkozak33 like this.
  7. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Except the ones that founded our country maybe. They have been trying to ruin it ever since, lol

phankins11 and JPeace$ like this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

One of the interesting things about our founding fathers is that even prior to the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, there were debates between Adams (strong central gov't) and Jefferson (strong for state's rights).

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would have liked to see the Iraqi Vets get some help from the proceeds of a Medal or Commemorative. Lord knows they deserve it. Maybe it could have gone to special programs to get them back into the labor force or helped with better counseling. Anything would have helped. God Bless our Vets!

JPeace$, dwhiz, phankins11 and 2 others like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am one sir, but I would not be a huge fan of such a coin. Too soon. Let them issue it when the Vets are greyer and wounds have healed.

tommyc03 and jwitten like this.
  11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I can't believe the Civil War was picked the most - it's already been done in the modern commem series.

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. statequarterguy

Me too! It's a reflection of what this nation has become - we are in the war business - it's reflected everywhere, our coinage, our movies, our clothing, our hair cuts, etc, etc.

13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

They have done enough civil wwar coins, even in the recent years. Vietnam, Babe Ruth, and Pan pacific.

14. statequarterguy

Vie
    Vietnam has already been done in the modern series too.

coinman1234 likes this.
  15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I would have really liked some Pan-Pac themed coins for this year. Although the planned 2015 UHR gold coin and silver medal are at least something I'm looking forward to for this year.

16. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The problem with Alexander Graham Bell making a phone call 100 years ago is that so did many others. Bell patented his telephone in 1876 or 139 years ago.

medoraman and daveydempsey like this.
  17. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Pan-Pacific?

Sure, let's put out a coin commemorating the fact that a commemorative coin was issued.

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Questionable items in this poll... :pigeon:

I'm not a fan of the US Mint's, and CCAC's input into, "anniversary" commemorative issues. Centennials and Sesquitennials, et al. of State Hood or Independence are one thing, but celebrating "Invasion" or commercialization of design creation (Tom&Jerry), or something that was already acknowledged in coined form (Pan-Pac), is just marketing-think and dreck that the US Mint would love to profit off of you from pressing into existence!
    1. 100 years from Pan-Pacific --- :sour: No. Been there, done that.
    2. 50 years from start of Vietnam --- :nailbiting: Vietnam started more than 50 years ago. It's a very ancient place, though most have no idea about what went on there, let alone the wars with the French and the Japanese colonies resulting in decades earlier of 20th century warfare before the US stepped in the arena to without declaring what they were fighting.
    3. 150 Years end of Civil War --- Which one? There is civil war all around the world, right now for goodness sake! BTW, There has already been a coin by the US Mint for the US Civil War put out in 1995!
    4. 100 years sinking of Lusitania --- This suggestion sounds like it was an accomplishment, not a disaster. :facepalm:
    5. 25 years since Iraqi invasion --- Really... :jawdrop:
    6. 100 years ago Alexander Graham Bell made a phone call --- :pompous: Mr. Meucci might disagree.
    7. 200 years Battle of New Orleans ends --- So many references to war in this poll.:arghh:
    8. 10 years ago Youtube is launched --- "Launch" dates!!!:banghead: Good grief Charlie Brown! (for cartoon characters see #10) There will be no end to the possibilities this would spur into creation. Everybody will just have to have a FaceBook coin, which will break all mintage records in history!
    9. 100 years ago Babe Ruth debuts and hits 1st homerun -- Is there such a lobby out there for this?:bored: As if sports marketing doesn't already consume enough venues for its sources of revenue...:bigtears:
    10. 75 years ago Tom and Jerry cartoon Created --- I certainly love cartoons, but something more lofty and meaningful is called for on coins or this will turn the US Mint into a copycat of the Perth Mint, known for cranking out series upon series of dinosaur coins, dangerous animals and the Transformers... Next up from the US Mint... Droopy!! followed by Bugs Bunny and friends!!!!

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@krispy that was a great use of emoticons.

krispy likes this.
  20. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I for one don't have anything against war-themed coins.

STU likes this.
  21. krispy

krispy krispy

All vets deserve our thanks and support. Thank you, one and all.

It shouldn't take a coin or any other form of contrived charity to give them what they were promised, earned and deserve for their service, separation from home and family and loss of life, limb and other wounds.

In the form of a commemorative coin, it might give some vets a bad taste of others profiting off them when these pieces become conditionally graded and traded as collectibles after the meager returns most commemorative series payback to the intended groups they're sometimes aimed at. Just my thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted