2015 chronicles sets with reverse proof coin.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by anchor1112, May 9, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This set may be collectible, but these coins are UUUUUGLY! (IMO).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

And it sounds like this fellow has a few 70's all to himself. I'm thinking there will be more in the future.....With the rush of everyone sending their coins in, the OGP probably will be the rare part!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-P-REVE...048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item28033c6b08

4. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

On Ebay for $25,000. Only one graded 70 so far.

$_57.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    McBlzr, Travlntiques and onecenter like this.
  5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I expect that a lot of the opinions are based upon the coins perceived value which should be expected to change as time goes on and I'm really glad I didn't pay $550 for that MS67 Georgia Statehood Quarter back in 2001.

I'm also glad I didn't pay $230 for this one back in the day:

114-2008-D Jackson FDOI Pos B 13261566 PCGS MS66 Slab Obv.jpg

but instead waited 6 months and picked it off of Teletrade for $12.87. Shipped with CA State Sales Tax.

Regardless of the coin or its perceived rarity or uniqueness, once folks lose interest, the value only becomes a historical point of "these sold for X.XX back in the day.

The 1973-S Silver Proof IKE at one time was command $250 each. Raw. In the OGP.

Popularity, Buying Waves, and Sustained Value often do not coincide. Especially with modern coins because once everybody has one that wants one, the prices usually plummet.

If I paid the going eBay price for one of these coins because I loved it, that love would turn to hate if I ever had to sell it "after" the gotta have it fever subsided.

Besides, it looks too much like Daniel Carrs Altered States of America CARRter Dollar for me to really like it.

dan_spoof_pr_192.jpg

I consider it as a possible "Coin of the Year" provided the Reverse Proof Roosevelt doesn't mind.

green18 likes this.
  6. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I think you've pointed out the serious risks of "grade rarity" - however, absolute mintage rarity is a completely different animal.

d.t.menace likes this.
  7. statequarterguy

green18 and illini420 like this.
  8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ok guys, what all am I seeing here? Doubling on "THE" (and other words) on the silver. On the Gold, what looks like a line going under MAN in Truman. Strike through? Crack? Scratch? Nothing?
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

9. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I got my sets today. Cracked one of the capsules taking the coin out in order to get the hair out of the capsule.

10. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Submit that hair for DNA certification :eek:

green18 and TopcatCoin like this.
  11. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What's the point? He's already opened the packaging, so it's not going to be eligible for First Shed labeling... :rolleyes:

13. mikenoodle and McBlzr like this.
  14. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Looking at my sets I believe one of the medals would be MS 70. Could not find anything with a 10x loupe. The coins are 69s due to one or two minor imperfections at 10x. I'm very happy with the quality.

15. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

16. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

It could be Truman's hair;)

17. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

Tuesday morning I checked the Mints website and these were back on sale for a short time. I ordered 5, my limit. They shipped today.

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

PCGS PR70 First Strike Pops sitting at 6 today. That's double what it was yesterday.

Wonder what it'll be on Friday?

19. statequarterguy

Yeah, but only 6! Have you seen how many NGC's there are? Must be many more NGC's, as a graded set of five posted on CT had three 70's.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  20. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

Truman set hit a high at $207.50 a set. Un open box should be over $1,100.00 now.

21. Mama said, "Better buy these Truman sets before they reach $1,000."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted