2015 $5 Gold Eagle error found

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jello, Jan 22, 2015.

1. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Raw yes I agree. 150,000 they think but how many of 150,000 have been checked or monster boxes have been opened to check? Few more could be found if box or two are in Bullion holding account.
    Graded is what you buy if you don't want to get burned.

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  4. SILVER E C-C

Heck if populations stay below 50,000 coins (graded) it should be a good one to own.
    And I agree with you, I would only buy this coin graded by NGC or PCGS. Imagine opening a mint tube of $5 Gold Eagles only to find that all of them are the Narrow variety. Yee Haa

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Cool!
    all I am saying hex 10 25 years a bu roll or box could be found it's not odd . Just mint having 2 types. Is odd but
    Population growth. happens.

6. SILVER E C-C

I think that with this variety that many folks that bought these monster boxes of $5 Gold Eagles are probably looking them over right now. But still as you stated the population will keep going up for years to come.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I wish I had boxes 1 - 10
    1st Box could be the, Most Valuable.

:)

8. SILVER E C-C

The other thing to consider is that these $5 Gold Eagles were released on Jan. 5, 2015. So the 30 day window for Early Release has closed so as of today NGC has only graded 68 coins in a MS69 and 82 coins in a MS70 Early Release. That's pretty interesting in itself !!!!!

jello likes this.
  9. SILVER E C-C

If you do a coin verification on the 2 NGC numbers below you can see the actual populations on these 2015 variety's in a MS69 and a MS70 grade.

3985239-055

3985240-005

jello likes this.
  10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't purchase one of these as there is no telling how many the big bullion buyers have just sitting in reserve knowing they can slowly release them in a drip while making bank doing so instead of releasing them all at once ruining their potential windfall.

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yes this could happen:pompous:
    ;) Error or Die Variety can be tricky + hard on your piggy bank
    Also Hoarding Could not happen :) That the game you play with Error or Die Variety:cigar:

12. SILVER E C-C

Then again I really have not seen but only a few Large Dealer selling these coins, so they might be limited to maybe just a few monster boxes of coins ????
    I can't see the mint not discovering this mistake very quickly, this is an interesting topic. Pay the asking price now and hope for a low population or pay a huge price later if the population is very low ?????
    And yes these coins may stay below 15,000 or 20,000 coins, but I don't know. What if they stay below 9,000 coins, then what are they worth ????? :happy:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  13. SILVER E C-C

500 coins in a monster box, so 10,000 coins would be 20 monster boxes full of the Narrow Reed Variety !!! That seems very interesting and also not possable, but I don't know.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Error get Noted then there always something to chase. Money sounds good and sometimes it's like the 2005 Minnesota state quarter, there to many to maintain value.
    I just hope no one gets into deep
    my2c
    :)

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  15. SILVER E C-C

No matter what, these coins will be very collectable just because of the "Variety" issue. That said there will alway's be a premium for them, kind of like the $5 Gold Buffalo's (still holding there value).
    I am actually enjoying this discussion about these coins, kinda nice ! :)

jello likes this.
  16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

08buffreed.jpg I also think it's a case of someone using the collar for the 2008 1/10 fractional buffalo instead of the normal 1/10 AGE collar. I actually took a picture of my 2008 1/10 buffs reeding and it looks the same as this narrow variety.

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  17. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I just checked my three $5 2015 Gold Eagles. All of them are narrow reed. narrowreed.jpg
    Top coin is 2013, rest are 2015s.

18. SILVER E C-C

Are you going to get them graded ? Them are very neat coins, I wonder how many were sent out raw ????? Them 3 are the only actual coins that I have seen ~ very nice.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is true for the ASE, but is that how the gold eagles are shipped as well? A box for 500 1/10 oz AE would be a pretty small Monster.

jello likes this.
  20. SILVER E C-C

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

There a few bullion sellers.That was my point how many are still seal somewhere. If someone finds more the population may grow.but not 1st strike details.

Draft saved Draft deleted