2015 $5 Gold Eagle error found

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jello, Jan 22, 2015.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ngc has found an striking differences on reeds for the $5 dollar gold eagle 2015-5-Gold-Eagle-Reed-Comparison-510x129.jpg 2015-5-Gold-Eagle-with-Narrow-Reeds-Variety-510x714.jpg 2015-5-Gold-Eagle-with-Wide-Reeds-Variety-510x714.jpg

paddyman98, gronnh20, krispy and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Heard 'bout dis', very interesting differences. But would you call them errors?

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nor would I more like a die variety. But Coin News headlines were "Error in 2015 $5 Gold Eagle" I guess it's was to add to sales?????

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

interesting, change in machinery probably

6. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

If the mint did change out their machines, then it's just another interesting die variety, not an error. But, pretty cool.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Yeah I would think or missed inspection of die before striking.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

The "Narrow Reeds" variety looks to be less abundant, at least based on the Gold Eagles that NGC has seen to date. The company did say that the relative rarity of the varieties is still unknown. Also unknown at this writing is the reason for the different reeding styles.

Can read about it here but really doesn't give the exact cause or whys: http://www.coinnews.net/2015/01/22/2015-5-gold-eagle-edge-varieties-discovered-by-ngc/

jello likes this.
  9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ya know the prices are going to jump til, newness rubs off . If you want one I would wait about a year. Price normally drop but could keep going up. No one knows that future.

:)

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Relative rarity?

How can they relate it?

How many were slabbed before they noticed it?

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Good question Frank!
    That will be the Hunt 75k is what sold numbers as of today but how many were just sold as full sets $5 - $50?

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not an error, more like a variety. New collars with a different reed count and they used both old and new collars in the same year.

jello likes this.
  13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This thread was a nice reed.. pun intended :woot:

micbraun and Jwt708 like this.
  14. SILVER E C-C

SILVER E C-C Junior Member

jello likes this.
  15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I wonder how many are still seal in monster boxes. Bullion vault setup for investment accounts ? If there hidden in there? :)

16. SILVER E C-C

Modern Coin Mart had the MS70's listed as well, they posted them around 11:00 am. They are now not in stock any longer, I see ebay listing's at $635~ish for the 70's.
    We will have to wait on the populations, but this is the very first die variety of the $5 Gold Eagle so it should hold a decent premium. :) This may have been limited at 1 or 2 runs at the Mint, who know's ????

jello likes this.
  17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Good question U.S.Mint notes are not highly recommend til years end.

18. SILVER E C-C

I often wonder if these coin variety's are released on purpose by the Mint to keep the Collector community interested and pump up sales a little. Just like the 2008w Silver Eagle rev. of the 2007w, these coins seem to be still holding a premium.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very good question that one can hope is not happening. Can be done to
    Hopefully not happening.

:)

SILVER E C-C likes this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Or they may have have simply introduced new collar dies with finer reeding and by the end of the year all the coins will have them. It is just too soon to know what is what.

21. SILVER E C-C

That's why I did not spend the big money for the MS70's, I am happy with MS69 coins anyway. I have seen way to many Gold/Silver Eagles start to tone after being stored for a while.
    I see the earliest post on these coins was Jan. 21/22 or around that time from various sources NGC,Coinworld ect. So people have had about 3 weeks to search for these coins and graded figures are still quiet low !

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted