2015 $1 Coin & Currency set - repeating 911 serial number

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Speedbump, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

First Post! :)

Looking for some thoughts on these sets I just bought. I have been playing the flipping game with some of these more recent $1 sets from the US Mint. The most recent is the 2015 Coin & Currency set that I just received today.

The first 3 digits in the note's serial number are '911' for all sets, and is meant to commemorate the Native American 'Mohawk Ironworkers' that worked on the WTC twin towers.

When I opened the packages to inspect my sets, I noticed the serial numbers had 911 repeated. I have 91191152 thru 91191156.

Do you think there is anything unique here? Since the '911' serial number was a special part of the set, I figured having it repeating would be unique and could demand a modest premium over other "common" sets. Obviously there is the possibility of a binary note with the last two digits being 19, 91, 11, or 99...

I had not planned on trying to sell them yet since they are still available from the Mint.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Hard to say, have to wait till they are sold out

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You also make reference to the last 2 digits making it a binary not. Correct but you don't have one. Kind of neat but nothing special.

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Good first post @Speedbump , and welcome to Coin Talk.

The serials you received a better than mine, but only time will tell if they are worth any additional value. I'm sure some collectors will like the repeating of 911 911 regardless of the last 2 numbers.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would think they are worth at least a little extra. I already saw one special number sell for over $80 on ebay.. but I forget the number. I've already sold 25 sets on ebay, and made about $5 each. Not a killing, but a quick little profit.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

If I'd open the boxes, I'd see what the numbers are, but.....

Rmo63 likes this.
  8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Hey, jwitten, $125 is $125 !! :happy:; which is always better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.

jwitten likes this.
  9. jwitten

I just did the math, and made $5.60 per coin, so $140 or so. Not bad for a quick flip. PLUS I kept the 5 best coins, and 5 best bill numbers for myself... hehe.

10. jwitten

Another interesting thing about these.... EVERY coin had the edge lettering facing the same way... instead of the normal 50/50. I guess since these were at the west point mint, they did them different. If anyone can find on with the edge letters reading upside down when the face of the coin is up, you have a real winner.

11. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I didn't get anything good on mine. By now, somebody has probably received #91191119 , 91191191, and 91191199, 91199111, 91191991, 91191919...

OK, that's enough. :bored:

12. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Other desirable combinations could include 77, 93, 175, and obviously 11.

They have only sold about 51k of the 90k limit so far and mine were on the higher end of the possible serial number range, so its difficult to tell what order they are shipping in. Its possible there are other numbers still waiting in the warehouse. 91111119 anymore?

Draft saved Draft deleted