2014-S Native American $1 Cameo Varieties?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SorenCoins, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hey guys I recently won a giveaway where I got a PCGS PF70DCAM Native American dollar from 2014-S. I thought maybe I had read somewhere about there being some varieties (like minor DDOs) on these but wasn't sure. When checking out my coin under magnification it didn't seem to have the right cameo. The reverse only has the vest and the lettering with cameo. I shrugged it off till I was checking the featured images on PCGS CoinFacts. Of the three featured images, two had full cameo on reverse and one had the same cameo as mine.

#1: PCGS PF70DC (Full CAM)
    upload_2017-10-6_19-56-28.png

#2: PCGS PF69DC (Partial CAM)
    upload_2017-10-6_19-57-18.png

#3: PCGS PF69DC (Full CAM)
    upload_2017-10-6_19-58-2.png
    #4: (My Coin) PCGS PF70DC (Partial CAM)
    IMG_7379.JPG

Any idea of whats going on here? And I am almost 100% sure it is not from the die wearing over time and loosing cameo, I mean, its DCAM, the surfaces are clearly mirror looking as on the fields.

Thanks.

-SC

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This first turned up a couple years ago. A 2014 S NA dollar tuned up with cameo frosting only on the horizontal lines of the dress and a few other places (the rest of the devices were brilliant proof). I theorized that the reverse frosting was applied in two passes, one that frosted the entire design and a second pass that applied a heavier frost to the horizontal lines on the dress and a few other areas. No one paid attention. About 9 months later the owner of the coin brought the subject up again and I repeated my theory. The owner then sent the coin to Mike Diamond who confirmed my theory and an article was written up abut the coin in Coin World's Collectors Clearinghouse. Since that time I have not heard any more about it and I've never heard of a second coin. Your images are not good enough for me to tell if you have one or not.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

Wow dude I need to start a Word document with all your responses because they have so much information! So if this is a second one it skipped the first passing? So then it would be an error. Wow thats incredibly interesting. Do you know where the article is?

5. SorenCoins

I'm out of town so I will send images Wednesday night.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What's that brown spot in the first photo (neck/chin)?
    And if it is on the coin wouldn't that stop it from being 70?
    There's also a brown spot on the rim at 3 o'clock and minor rim dings at
    12 o'clock. I think 70 should be as perfect as you can get.
    (All beautiful coins.)

SorenCoins likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

What I thought, probably happened after being put in the holder.

8. SorenCoins

Actually hows this inage look, I know its not great but its all I have right now. IMG_7457.PNG

9. SorenCoins

IMG_7636.JPG IMG_7637.JPG IMG_7638.JPG Alright, Im back home.
    Check it out!!!

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Still can't be sure from your images. The article was published in Coin World right around 8/27/16 I can't get you closer than that. If anyone has a subscription to the digital edition they should have access to the archives and could find it. (I don't).

If the site here will let me post the link, here is the thread on another forum where it was discussed and it has some images that are good enough to clearly see the differences. You could compare them to your coin. The images are on page 2, and you can clearly see that there is no contrast between the facial features and field but the horizontal lines on the dress etc are clearly frosted.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=260570&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=2014,dollar

11. SorenCoins

IMG_7850.JPG IMG_7851.JPG IMG_7852.JPG

IMG_7853.JPG IMG_7854.JPG

My images aren't the best, especially due to scratches on the holder, but my coin matches. So what do I do from here? How can this new discovery be spread out?

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes that is definitely what it is. The thing is it needs to become better known. Best option for future appreciation would probably be to get it listed in the Cherrypickers Guide. I think Fivaz is still the guy editing it so he would be the one to talk to. If he feels it is significant enough he'll list it.

With the typical die life on proof coins, if this wasn't discovered at the mint you can estimate a maximum mintage of around 3,500 to 4,000 pieces. If they did discover it, the mintage would be much lower. (I suspect a low mintage. it is very obvious but the first one wasn't discovered for two years and now the second one not for another year even after it was published in Coin World. At least I've never heard of a second one.) Frankly to me this is a significant proof error kind of like the missing S errors, it missed an important step in the creation of the die, but I would not expect it to be as valuable even if it does become well known.

Until it becomes well known though it is just a curiosity that no one knows anything about and there is no demand.

SorenCoins likes this.
  13. SorenCoins

Wow. I'm gonna have to send the guy I got this as a giveaway from a thank you card and a couple things. This makes me very happy, so this is a variety, not an error. Thanks much and I will keep everyone updated if I hear a response from Fivaz. Does he have an email or anything to contact him at? I agree, I mean looking at the price the cameo varieties of the platinum eagles are selling for over without cameo varieties, I think this has the potential to be a valuable coin in the future. Thank you very much, and might I ask. How do you know so much stuff!!!!! Seriously you have helped me a ton.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. SorenCoins

16. SorenCoins

I just emailed Fivaz. I hope he responds, would make my day to talk with him. :nailbiting:

Draft saved Draft deleted