2014 JFK Silver Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

On Oct 30th you have this one starting ..... http://expo.whitman.com/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

bullion value for silver fifty cent is $7.07 or $28.28 for four. are you saying $99.95 plus $4.95 shipping or $104.90 for four coins is o.k.?.

i think the buying price which dealer will pay for kennedy gold coin is $1,150.00 more or less. e-bay average price around $1,325.00. u. s mint is $1,240.00 plus $4.95 shipping or $1,244.95 each. the price seems on the downside. this also applied to baseball coins.

as i say before. for modern coins. the winners always are the u.s. mint, dealers, publishers and the coin insiders. the loser are the investors and new comers. as for true collectors and hobbyists. since the buy and keep it. they love it. they rarely sell it. they should consider the true winners.

dwhiz likes this.
  4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

True for some mint products, yet not others, you have to know what to buy. Yes, the mint has set one of its highest markups on this Kennedy silver set and they're probably going to sell a bunch of them. So, this set will be a nice addition to my collection, but, I probably won't speculate on it by buying extra sets.

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I think that this set is the big one for the year. I plan on buying five.

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This silver set us going to be made to order and therefore probably won't be a huge winner. The enhanced uncirculated Kennedy Half looks to be a rather unimpressive coin and for that reason, I don't think that they will command a huge premium at any time in the future.

I agree with SQG that if you like them, then you should by all means purchase one, but I see absolutely no flip potential in these sets

7. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I am really surprised by the perception that this silver set is somehow way overpriced. How much does the mint sell annual commemorative CLAD half dollars for? Yeah, about $20 a piece! These are 90% silver and about $25 a piece... seems quite reasonable to me!

JPeace$ and jwitten like this.
  8. statequarterguy

I think the problem is the mint makes so much off it’s collectables that a majority of the cost of running the mint is paid for by collectors and no tax dollars go toward mint operations. There once was a time when the mint was required to break even on collectables sold to collectors, so the cost of a collectable was not a burden on taxpayers and taxpayers paid tax dollars to cover the cost of the coins they used for commerce. All was fair in those days – now collectors unfairly shoulder a larger portion of running the mint.

9. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

That law still exists, but like most other federal agencies, the mint no longer follows the law.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The mint still makes more profit form seigniorage than from collector coins, but not by much.

The mint is still required to break even on the commemoratives, in fact with one of the recent ones the mint confiscated the surcharge money that they had collected for the organization the coin was supposed to help out because they didn't make enough profit to cover their expenses. Frankly I consider that fraud. They sold the coins with the representaion that the organization would get that surcharge money. If they don't give it to them they should return it to the people they took it from.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Wow...I hadn't heard that. I consider that fraud as well.

12. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I had always been under the impression the text of the law said the Mint only paid the surcharge to the benefactor if they cover all their expenses, but I don't see that in the text of the bill.

http://www.coinnews.net/coin-legisl...a-centennial-commemorative-coin-act/#BillText

13. statequarterguy

That was true until last year. If you check the mint's last annual report, you'll see that they made more off of collectables than seigniorage from circulating coins.

geekpryde likes this.
  14. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

These will be available on oct 28 at u s mint retail outlet gift shops in denver philly & dc then sold at the whitman baltimore md winter expo on oct 30 will ngc & pcgs be on site to grade them 1st,2nd,3rd coin first day of issue er fs etc ?

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They should be at the show. They can't slab as first day of issue as they won't be available at the show till the third day of issue. But they can still have first Strike/Early Release or special labels for the show slabbing.

16. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

What if we have a receipt dated oct 28 (fdi) 1st coin sold p,d,dc to verify it ?

17. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I suspect if you have a receipt dated the 28th you can get a first strike label. But aside from that, can you imagine what a mess it will still be with the mint selling the coins at the Baltimore show? Will we see the big dealers pay a bunch of low lifes to stand in line again so they can run all the coins over to the TPGs for a special Baltimore label? It remains to be seen what the TPGs are going to do. I am more worried about what kind of lines are going to be generated and whether the Mint will have a fair way of dealing with people wanting to buy the coins. I would like to pick some up at the event but don't want to fight a bunch of smelly homeless people.

On another note, have any of the big dealers that have been identified bringing in all those people had anything done to them by the ANA? If you read the Coin Week article The Kennedy Gold Proof Launch and The Modern Coin Market, you read this paragraph...."There were also several reported incidents where Early Bird Access credentials were handed off to other buyers on the show’s second and third days. The ANA began checking buyers’ identification after they were apprised of this. We were told by officials at the ANA that they verified multiple instances of abuse of the Early Bird system and were able to track them back to specific dealers, but the officials that talked to us wouldn’t say whether the Association will levy any disciplinary action against them."

I am assuming since ANA collected so much extra money from all these people they won't do anything to these people but they should!!! ANA members should write the ANA director demanding answers as to what they are going to do to those abusers. Just my two cents!!!

18. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I let my ANA membership lapse, due to this organization offering nothing more (IMO) than it's magazine, and access to it's 'library'. I see it as being an actionless, ineffective, organization, that does very little, if anything, for it's membership, nothing more. If there are some that think it is more worthwhile than that, I certainly apologize...not trying to belittle what others may think is useful, or consider it as an outstanding organization, but that's my take on them.

As for them taking any action on those who paid actors to be bussed in? If they WERE, I'd bet money we would have heard SOMETHING about it by now. Those dealers (still can't get over one is on the PCGS board), if similar nonsense had happened in other organizations, would have had action taken against them by now. Personally, the organization is so lame, I'd imagine the less that is brought up, the better off they are. They were already considered a less-than-effective organization prior to the Chicago nightmare, and left a bad taste with a number of members, on other coin forums, who have since become former ANA members.

Question for members active with them for a number of years....when exactly did the ANA become the organization it is today (I should ask, when was the ANA actually a useful organization, an organization that it was beneficial to be a member of)?? I've only been collecting, with purpose, using learned knowledge to become a better collector, for perhaps 8 years, and was a member of the ANA from day 1, but as I said prior, let it lapse just about 2 years ago.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I have used their library for research and the on site staff was very accommodating. Their museum is quite modern and the presentations and displays are high quality and very interesting. They also have excellent educational programs on a variety of subject matter. I would say if you utilize the facilities in Colorado Springs, the membership is worth while. If you are one who uses the internet and attends a few local coin shows, it's probably not going to help you at all.

20. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

The rather smelly, but friendly yoga people in line with me had early bird badges with names that didn't match their real names. The Mint personnel started to have an issue, but were pretty understanding for some reason. Minshull was the big wig paying them off. I just remember seeing people walking by carrying fists full of badges for their "buyers".

I don't think there will be too much foolishness in Baltimore. The Kennedy Gold was just setup for a perfect storm....

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A receipt from where? I would guess you are assuming the coins will be for sale in the mint giftshops and the DC kiosk over the counter on the first day of issue. They might be, they might not.

Draft saved Draft deleted