2014 JFK Silver Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Am I the only one to order on the first day of availability (and within the first hour or so), and not receive my coin before they were available already graded? I'll most likely wait on the CuNi set, and probably order one silver set from the mint, and one already graded from MCM or someone else. No doubt I'll get the graded ones first.

Edit: I still think the mint should offer the same proof coin, any coin, in a capsule only - less all the packaging that gets thrown away, for a small discount.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No. Mine got bumped to 8/1.

I do NOT buy this faulty software crap for 1 second!

4. 19Lyds

Ooops.

I just went to in stock and reserved with no cancel box. embarrassed.gif

I'll shut up now.

green18 and jwitten like this.
  5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Me too. We'll see when they actually ship.

6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Me Too+

7. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Me too ++ Woot!!!

8. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The mint is totally ripping you guys off...

10. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

How so?

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm not exactly sure how they are ripping everyone off. Please explain this to me.

12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic. I couple of these guys have been throwing fits that the mint is terrible to buy from, and does not care about the customer, etc etc. Now they are happy when they realize the mint is shipping quickly.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Fair enough.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if they have already been struck to make an entire authorized mintage before the the coin goes on sale. I realize this isn't possible for the Kennedy sets since there is no mintage limit, but on some earlier issues it would have caused problems if they had followed that procedure. For example the 2011 US Army dollar had an authorized mintage of 400,000 for both Unc and proof combined. Now if you are going to strike them all before they go on sale how many of each do you strike? And even you could figure out a split, once sales ended they would have still had over 236,000 stuck coins on their hands. If they were planchets, they could have been held over and used for the commemorative dollars the next year. But if they had struck them all ahead of time, as suggested, they are now useless and have to be melted back down and reprocessed into planchets all over again. That costs money. (The mint doesn't do it themselves they would have to pay to ship them to a private firm that would melt them down and process the silver back into planchets, and then ship them back to the mint.)

Any time they had an authorized maximim mintage if they followed the "coin them all up ahead of time" they would run the risk of running into that possibility. That don't that and that is why they don't usually end up holding the bag. (But this is also why they often wind up selling the silver proof sets well into the following year. They pre-coined too many of them. So it means either extend the sales window, or melt them down and lose the money invested in them.)

I will agree that the mint IS usually too conservative on the number it does pre-strike.

jwitten likes this.
  15. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I am down for 1 set.

2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection$99.95

16. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I just ordered a clad set. I'm not so fond of Kennedy as a President, but I do recognize him as "significant". So the clad set is code K14. In it's descrtiption, it says this:

Note: All other United States Mint 2014 Kennedy half-dollars that are not included in the K13 and K14 sets share the common reverse described above, while the obverse features a strong but simple portrait of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy and the inscriptions LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST.​

Is K13 the code for the yet-to-be-released Silver set due out in Fall? Am I accurately understanding this description to say that the Obverse of this clad set and the upcoming Silver set will have a unique design not shared by the general release (rolls, bag, 2014 Proof sets)? Thanks for the clarification.

Rob

17. statequarterguy

I noticed that too. K13 is not used by any other option, so it may be the silver set.

Yes, these coins have the portrait used on the 1964 halves.

18. 19Lyds

Well thank you for your insight. ThumbsUp.gif

19. 19Lyds

Meh! We're human.

20. statequarterguy

jwitten
    I was being sarcastic. I couple of these guys have been throwing fits that the mint is terrible to buy from, and does not care about the customer, etc etc. Now they are happy when they realize the mint is shipping quickly.

And, the mint is the mint. From past experience, it looked like they were pulling another one. We'll see when they actually ship, they are late now.

21. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Yes late now...sent me my rolls of 2014, but have my others in stock and reserved? Fishy.

Draft saved Draft deleted