2014 JFK Silver Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem is how do you decide how much stock to have on hand? They announced that they would have 37,000 sets on have opening day. Considering most of the half dollar commems have sold around 100,000+ during their whole ordering period, and the recentones even less, they probably thought that was enough to handle the initial ordering. They didn't expect 68,000 to be ordered in the first 12 hours. I will agree they underestimated the popularity of this set but predicting future demand is not easy. Try it yourself. Predict what the first days sale of the silver sets will be. And remember you have the figures of the sales for the clad sets as hindsight so it will be easier for you to to predict demand than it was for them.

So what will be the first days sales of the silver set?

jwitten likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Mo
    More important is what will be the first week, month, or total sales and why not have them all made before they go on sale. The silver set will probably sell better than the HOF silver, so why not have at least 500k ready to go. Having only the first day sales available will leave many waiting a long time. The goal should be to have enough on hand so they can fill orders as they come in and make more before they run out. Heck our economy is based on this type of projection. How many would continue to buy a product if they were constantly told, sorry we're out of stock, so you'll have to wait 2 months to get your can of beans? It’s only when you have the luxury of government sponsored monopoly powers that you can constantly run out of a product and expect your customers to come back for more.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Because in case an issue doesn't sell they don't want to have a lot of already coined up stock on hand that represents planchets and boxes they have already paid for that they now have to destroy. Ideally they need to have enough on hand to handle initial demand and then mint to order keeping just a little ahead of the rate of ordering so that when the sales end the number on hand to be destroyed is as small as possible.

Much of our industry in this country does work this way, "just in time" production with parts arriving just before they are need on the production floor so they aren't capital tied up in inventory, and products produced at a rate as closely matching demand rate as possible. The problem comes when parts delivery falls behind or demand rate is over or under estimated.

I think the silver set will sell better than the clad set as well, but I don't think 500K sets on hand opening day is needed. I think 200k would probably do but they should be ready to to ramp up production of needed based on sales of the first few hours.

5. statequarterguy

True, estimating the total sales would be more difficult, but they should be able to estimate more than the first day and they have to do something about production time to meet orders that exceed available supply, two, three or four months is rediculous. The mint is far from "just in time" production.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

First look at the silver reverse proof...
    [​IMG]

onecenter and Travlntiques like this.
  7. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Very nice, now I really want some!

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

That's the whole point!

The US Mint is putting on the facade of attempting to be fair and equal in the distribution of these coin sets yet continue to pander to big time coin dealers and TPG's. I'd like to publically call them on the carpet for intentionally misleading the public through deceptive practices!
    You see, I'm still pissed off at the fact that I had to wait 4 months to receive my CnClad UNC HOF Half Dollars while the US Mint continually made them available everywhere EXCEPT for the ONLINE ORDERS! I don't mind waiting. I waited months for the 2006 Anniversary Sets. I've waited for other issues which were sold in advance. However, I don't like being lied to nor deceived.

I'd really like to know what the hell is going on!!

9. 19Lyds

75,389 sets unless they put limits on it. Then it might just sell out within 6 hours. Oh heck, if they capped it at 150,000 sets it would sell out within 48 hours.

10. 19Lyds

I think that I am in total agreement with you.

There has got to be a "reason" that the US Mint continues to play this game and it has nothing to do with demand or sales projections. Aside from the GSA coins, exactly which products have they been left holding the bag on?

From a metallurgical standpoint, the ONLY possible loss would be in the packaging as they, the US Mint, continue to feel the need to put these special issues in these garish looking and storage wasting packages made up of over lacquered cheap wood with velveteen lining that are made in foreign countries anyway. More than likely China.

Drop them in cello and put em in an envelope and be done with it.

Oh wait. We can't do that. The Chinese might get pissed off.

Atarian likes this.
  11. 19Lyds

Wait a minute there Conder.

If they cannot use any of the 90% Silver Planchets for the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Sets, those planchets will work nicely in the Annual Silver Proof Sets. If not for this year then next year so I'm not gonna buy that story.

The packaging boxes is another story but then given the profits they are already raking in, I'm thinking this would not be that big of a loss.

Who needs those stupid boxes anyway? The coins would fit nicely as a 4 coin set in something similar to the old SMS Plastic Packaging.

12. 19Lyds

Why is it gold colored?

13. jwitten

Because of the lighting. I myself have never been able to get a good picture of a silver coin and not have it gold toned. The lighting that was used was poor for the coin selection

14. jwitten

I went to pick up a little ceasars pizza last night to pick up a "hot and ready" pizza. They were not ready.. I had to wait 15 minutes. However, another customer walked in after me, told them he had an order for a hot and ready pepperoni, and they gave him his pizza. I was there first, yet they did not have a pizza for me. Did they give my pizza to him? Or was it OK, since he called ahead and had one ordered? In other words, if the mint already has some set aside for the ANA show, they are not giving up your coins. They already knew they had those set aside for the show. Same principal. Stop whining.

15. statequarterguy

Not the same if they're allocating more to the show than previously planned. The guy who ordered on the phone before you should get his pizza first. Maybe Little Ceasars is pulling a mint, the one by my house never has them ready.

16. jwitten

If they said how many they would set aside, then changed that, I agree. If they set aside how many they said they are bringing (ordering them ahead), and stick to it, I see no problems with that. And I agree about little ceasars.. several people walked in, then right back out when they said they had none ready. If your promise is to have them ready, you better. The mint never promised to ship next day (or week), so I am more OK with waiting for my coins.

17. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

:vomit:Little cesars.

jwitten likes this.
  18. statequarterguy

Well, in a way they did, they originally said they would ship by 7/28. By moving the date, the way they are now, it looks like they're taking sets promised to online/phone orders to the show. I don't believe for one minute that their website is as screwed up as they say, so that it is posting erroneous shipping dates. Since the original order page said ship by 7/28, does anyone still have a 7/28 date?

19. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Not I. 8-1 last time I checked, which means I can't take them to Chicago.

20. jwitten

They require a receipt showing you bought them at the show to get the show graded holder. So even if you could bring them, it would be pointless.

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think I will pick up a set. I have been on the fence about it as I figure I might be able to get one a little cheaper on the secondary market in a few years...but I'd rather pay a few more bucks and have one sooner. So, I will order one.

Draft saved Draft deleted