2014 Frankenquarter Smokey Mountains Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sean I Gonzales, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Sean I Gonzales

Sean I Gonzales New Member

Hello I just wanted to know how a coins face can get another coins reeding edge mark on it. I have a 2014 smokey mountain quarter and on the face of it it looks like a Frenkenquarter washington due to the stitch like appearance on his face. Here are some pictures with normal and different lighting. Noone seems to be able to tell me how it happens, they say it's not PMD but it doesnt happen at the mint so just wondering where. Lol. Thanks for your information or whatever light you can shed. I just found this info (last 4 pictures enclosed in pictures )about the reeding on coins edges and their obverse...it sounds as if it could be a mint error all be it an extremely rare error?)

Regards,

Sean Gonzales

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is it possible to post a picture of the full Obverse side? o_O

4. Sean I Gonzales

Yes no problem give me 5 min

5. Sean I Gonzales

Attached Files:

6. Sean I Gonzales

Heres another pic let me know if you need anything else amd thank you so much for any light you cam shed.

Attached Files:

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Reeded edge marks occur when the coins are being dropped into the Mint Bags. They are known as contact marks. Your Quarter also has a circular ring going around the Obverse. That is caused by a paper coin roll crimper machine.

Welcome to CoinTalk.

8. Sean I Gonzales

Wow thank you so much that is sooooo cool. How much do those bags of coins weigh just curious ) I feel really lucky A) the odds of X amount of coins to ha e enough weight to B) Push that one coin out of an entire bag on its edge onto the face of another one perfectly on its mouth to leave "what looks like stitch marks" I have one last question (sorry) so to sum up what happened to Ol FrankenQuarter "essentially it amd a bunch of other same coins were on their way to the coin roller in a bag and then the "stitches" by his mouth was created and then once on the coin roller (I'm assuming a machine that puts them in the paper wrapper (sorry I've only been at this 2 months) it got that ring around this? And 1 more sorry ...where does that part happen (I know it's not a mint error cause the stitches weren't caused by the dye and press right ?) Does it happen. At the mint but in the final stage of wrapping the made coins to go out to banks or does it happen at the bank? Thank you so much again for your time and wisdom... I just thought it was a cool looking coin and in the 65 cents in change I received the other day I got that Frankenquarter a 2019 Guam Quarter with the W mint and a silver dime from 57 I believe.

9. Sean I Gonzales

Nevermind...sorry I'm learning how to read I just re read your message. Thanks again

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The ballistic bags that are used to transport coins from the Mint to the Federal Reserve Banks can weigh as much as several thousand pounds when filled with coins. ~ Chris

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your quarter is basically damaged and worth face value. But now you know how it happened. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted