2014 D Roosevelt Dime-Strange tone Obverse & Reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rosalita, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hello guys,

I have this 2014 D Roosevelt Dime and would like to know what is happening with the toning on the Obverse and Reverse? It is not glue as I soaked the coin in Distilled water and dish washing soap. The only part of the dime that is still a shiny silver on the Obverse is the upper part of Roosevelt's forehead and above his head.
    2014 D Roosevelt Dime (Reverse2).jpg 2014 D Roosevelt Dime (Obverse).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry but it's some kind of environmental damage. It did not leave the mint like that and is not an error.

My best guess is that it was sitting on some plastic in a hot environment and the volatiles off gassed and reacted with the metal, but who knows. Other guesses may be just as valid.

When you're looking for errors, don't be worried about what caused the damage. Always try to understand whether it could or could not be caused by the minting process

Rosalita likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe it sat in a urinal for a while.

Rosalita likes this.
  5. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Was this in a coin book? Looks somewhat like PVC damage, which won't be removed by soap and water.

If it is PVC, the 100% Acetone usually will remove the deposit. Soak for at least 30 minutes and rinse in distilled water. Pat dry, Don't wipe dry. Not that it matters for this coin, but for future reference

Draft saved Draft deleted