2014 D Lincoln Penny ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hagenhomestead, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Hagenhomestead

Hagenhomestead Hospitalized

Hey guys, what do I have here? Appreciate the advice and input. Have a good one! 20190728_204544.jpg 1564346713612.jpg 1564346655948.jpg 1564346468351.jpg 1564346412121.jpg 1564346394599.jpg 1564346498083.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My opinion. a Rolling Dryer coin removed before it got TOO bad.
    on a rolling coin, the diameter gets smaller and the rim gets taller as the machine spins the longer it's in there the worse it gets.
    on a tumbling coin the edge rim wears down instead.

Below is the basic theory of what's going on although nobody has really seen it as it happens, just the results when you service them to remove the jam or get them spinning again. they are pulled out of laundromat machines during repairs and services quite frequently looking like that or worse and it's the top loading dryers usually, not the front loaders if a coin get in there on a front loader it eventually lays flat at the bottom until enough pile up to jam it up and stop it spinning.

[​IMG]

paddyman98 and Oldhoopster like this.
  4. Hagenhomestead

Hagenhomestead Hospitalized

Great, just what I need... Laundered money, lol. Thanks @John Burgess

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not familiar with dryer coins however it certainly appears that could fit the description. When I see these I am reminded of coin spooning which was an activity I participated in as a lad. Tap the edges of a coin long enough and the edge rolls up. I would do it with nickels and drill out the center to create a ring myself.

Hagenhomestead likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Draft saved Draft deleted