2014 Brasher Doubloon Novodel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fool4gold, May 22, 2018.

1. fool4gold

fool4gold New Member

Does anyone know the population numbers for this gold novodel that was first issued at the 2014 ANA Chicago show? There were 500 minted then and I've heard as many as 2,000 total as of 2018. However, I can't find information concerning how many were punched on wing vs punched on breast vs no punch at all. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

First time I've seen "novodel" referring to anything other than Russian coins

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've seen it used with other things, but I don't think it is appropriate in this case. A restrike is a piece made later from the original dies. A novodel is an officially authorized reproduction made with similar dies but not the original dies.

Now this piece can't be an "official" issue because the Brasher Doubloon was a private issue, the only person that could official authorize the piece would be Ephram Brasher or possibly his decendants. And it can't be a restrike because they didn't use the original dies. So a reproduction that isn't official and uses different dies if it it properly marked should be called a copy. If it isn't marked then the proper term would be fake or counterfeit.

Just my opinion.

5. fool4gold

fool4gold New Member

Thank you for such a lucid and compelling post. My bad. The gold disk is marked copy on the edge. However, I'm still looking for numbers concerning the production. It was commissioned by Monaco rare coins I believe, but they can't or won't offer any insight into the matter. I seems a shame that they would create such a fine copy and not allow people to know the population. Thanks again.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So it is an imitation numismatic item not properly marked in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act, so an illegal copy.

7. fool4gold

fool4gold New Member

Yes. Whatever you say almighty brainy-one. I got it from somebody onboard a flying saucer, so the crime is even worse. It's an interstellar felony! Loser.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

All I'm saying is that it is not legally marked as per the requirements of the Hobby Protection Act which requires the word COPY to be on either the obv or rev face (not the edge) and it has to be in san serif font at least 2 mm high and the length of the word has to be at least 6 mm. Since it is improperly marked it is not legal to sell it.

9. fool4gold

fool4gold New Member

Thanks for a common sense answer. I didn't create the coin, only purchased. Legal or not, there are 2,000 of them on the planet. Some (after the ride onboard the flying saucer) respond unrespondingly to magnets. This might be a problem for collectors, I'm not sure.... Other than that, the first 500 were minted at the 2014 ANA show in the windy city and I figure Monaco rare coins knew what they're doing. They have room-fulls of lawyers, I'm sure.
    I am new to this site and have found your attitude to be like a bully. A cyber-bully. My original question of population numbers went out the window as soon as you figured you could pounce on something inconsequential. You seem intelligent, so I can't figure out the bully part. Bully for you, is all I'm saying!

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Disagreement and questioning on seldom seen numismatic material is to be expected on any coin forum. Some come expecting acclaimmation and are defensive in response. There is little harm done to this point. Even though you may be disappointed with Conder101 answers, they are correct, and all have learned something new. Monaco Coin company functions mainly as a dealer, not as a minter, so they probably bought them as a resale item. I am sure they would be saddened to hear about the magnetism as it may mean the medals are not the purity expressed. i think we have given as much as possible. If you wish to be civil in further discussions , please stay around to learn. Jim

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Perhaps, just perhaps, that is because they know that the items are in violation of the Hobby Protection Act and do not want to let anyone know just how many they have or have sold.

12. fool4gold

fool4gold New Member

yes, well thank you for the fine replies. Of course I was joking about the magnatism, but not about many of them riding aboard flying saucers. They are still .9999 fine gold, even after returning. However, this so-called numismatic forum seems to be filled with a bunch of self-ritious windbags who only think about how to be edited. I hope you are all happy with your left-wing smugness! Goodbye forever! and good riddance, I suppose....

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

All anybody did was try to be helpful and give you honest answers. But it seems you either cannot or perhaps will not recognize them as such.

But if you decided to stick around, you might actually learn something ;)

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Me a cyber bully? My original answer was in response to Numismat's statement about Novodel, and the different terms for different types of copies. You provided more information which allowed me to categorize it as an illegally marked copy. you then became flippant and I explained why it was illegal. At this point you became insulting, only mildly so thankfully.

I do not try to bully, and I apologize if I came across that way. I am merely the type of person that likes to stress facts, proper terms, and correct errors. I do not make personal attacks. Yes you original question went unanswered, if I knew the answer I would have given it to you. Unfortunately probably the only people that can help you with that request would be Monaco. Such a piece is probably not of much interest to most collectors so there was probably little attention paid to it and the information if published has probably not been remembered and could only be found by re-reading all the US numismatic periododicals published since 2014. Best source would probably be Coin World but the only places I know of that might have all the back issues would be the ANA, maybe ANS, Coin World itself. If you had a digital subscription you might be able access issues back that far online. I don't believe Coin World is available on the Newman Numismatic Portal. That is the best I can do to help you.

15. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I would appreciate it if you could post a photo of the coin. Also, if it's not too personal, how much did you pay for it and who sold it. Thank you.

16. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted