2014 Arches quarter error?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Jul 15, 2017.

1. I am putting together a National Park Quarters folder today and found an interesting "extra rock formation" at the top of this 2014 Arches quarter. The pics are not the best but you can clearly see the difference between the coin in question (1st two pics) compared to a typical one (3rd, 4th pics). I am thinking this is just a cud, correct? Regardless, it's a great place for it. What do you think? Thanks, TC
    20170715_160501427.png 20170715_160547584.png 20170715_160523003.png 20170715_160558261.png

Rassi, Tyler Graton and ken454 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not a CUD but a huge Die Chip.. nice one.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed!

@TopcatCoin - A cud is a break along the rim that extends into the field. There are some collectors who call a simple break on the rim to be a rim cud. (I'm not one of them!)

Chris

TopcatCoin likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice error coin I believe.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wow, that does look like an extra rock!

TopcatCoin likes this.
  7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

It probably is a die chip but... Most die chips have irregular outlines, as does yours, but have little detail within that outline, being relatively smooth like a cud. Yours certainly looks like an extra rock and none of the quarter error/variety sites have any other similar reported. You may have a keeper, with future value for error collectors.

TopcatCoin and Kentucky like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I know I'm going to be looking!!!

9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Kasia and TopcatCoin like this.
  10. I have never heard of this error before. It's amazing how it is aligned right on top. It's also visible to the naked eye. TC

11. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Geeezum. Thats massive!! Who would've thought rocks could grow haha

12. I'm trying to decide if I should get this attributed and slabbed by ANACS or just keep it raw. Any ideas? Thanks, TC

13. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

If you have a bunch of coins that would warrant sending in, I'd take advantage of ANACS summer special - 8 coins graded (without attribution) (use promo code insider3) with return shipping for $75 - makes it worth it for coins that typically wouldn't be worth it.

14. Tyler Graton

TopcatCoin likes this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

could this be the latest 'low leaf' 'high leaf'?

16. Tyler Graton

I haven't been able to find anything on this die chip. So I am sure that you are probably the first to discover it. And yes this will probably be similar to the low leaf/high leaf. Not sure though cause I thought the high leaf and low leaf was a ddo ( please correct me if I am wrong) I'd say it might be a little better too because the arches example has a lot more to look at. This just my opinion though and I find that my opinions aren't always correct. Also. Thank you for posting this. I now have something more to look for.

17. I just emailed James Wiles at Variety Vista and Ken Potter at CONECA as asked their advice. TC

Tyler Graton and Kentucky like this.
  18. Diagnosis: "large interior die break." I guess I'll put it up on eBay at .99 true action and see what it gets. Any ideas for a catchy error name? Rolling Stones error? Flintstones error? Extra boulder? TC

19. Froggyliscious

Froggyliscious New Member

I just found the same error on my quarter! Is in worth having it certified? I don’t know much about the whole error coin thing I’m just getting started and I can see there is a lot to learn

Draft saved Draft deleted