2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set Enhanced Sacagawea Native TA9

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Dec 11, 2014.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'm sure you've all heard about this set and some of y'all have been lucky enough to get a few sets, yours truly included. As I can see it's a really special set but is it really considered rare? I know there's supposedly only 50,000 sets that are going to be minted, does 50,000 really mean it's a rare coin? Maybe we can talk about this because I have a hard time accepting that a mintage of 50,000 coins is truly rare. How about you, what do you think? Also, what this position A and position B deal, what the heck does that mean? Excuse my questions, but, an inquiring mind wants to know. :D $_5Indian-Dollar7.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

50,000 itself doesn't make it super rare, but on a coin this cheap I think it does. You have a lot more people that can afford the first and only enhanced $1 modern coin than can afford something like the gold kennedy, which means a lot more people are going to try and own it. The position A and B has to do with which way the edge lettering faces, up or down. It is random, so a good guess would be 25,000 or so of each. Collectors of this coin will want both, which means now mintage is down to around 25,000.

4. Danr

Danr Numismatist

50K does not seem rare? wow that is a strange thing to say about a mod dollar

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It ain't rare if I could get in on it.......

Jwt708, krispy and dwhiz like this.
  6. jwitten

50,000 of a certain coin is not that rare. What makes it rare is for what kind it is, just like you said. There are plenty of coins that are 50,000 or less, and not considered that rare or valuable.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Another way to look at it is this, is the coin a position "A" or position "B" lettering.
    So all things being equal there could be 25,00 of each or less depending on the position of the lettering.
    I was lucky I ordered 2 sets and got one of each.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Position A and Position B are determined by the orientation of the edge lettering in relationship to the orientation of the coin.

Lettering which is right side up with the Native American image showing (Rev) is Position A
    Lettering which is right side up with Sacagawea (Obv) showing is Position B

As for 50,000 being "rare"? It'll never be truly rare but it will always be unique. As such, it could very well be worth a lot of money in 10 years or so. Or, it might not. It really depends upon the current golden dollar coin market and where it goes.

For now, I'd think that $27 is a fair price to pay and that price might very well be fully sustainable given the low (relatively low) mintage numbers.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Manufactured collectibles or those coins NIFC are not rare. These coin products merely present an illusion of rarity. As we know, rarity informs values and highlights the less attainable pieces among all coin patterns, which drives collectors to seek them (rare(r) pieces) and to seek it (rarity). But as most can't obtain key date rarities of coins that were intended for circulation but produced or remain only in scarce quantity for the demand of them now, or won't/can't pay the premium for such pieces, they have to turn to the illusion of rarity. And who other than the Mint operating on a strategy developed by a marketing team feeds the demand that has been identified by collector demographic studies.

By scale 50,000 units might be small compared to production figures in the multi-milions of circulation strikes of the same design. However, the Mint doesn't produce rarities, they produce a quantity to meet demand as mentioned above. Collectors and coin industry agents (dealers, TPGs, publications, bloggers, et al.) find ways to categorize and diminish overall product mintages down to marketable figures (citing things like: how many pos. A vs. pos. B, what a coin grades, how soon can it be certified for a special TPG label, are there any errors known...) to prop up an artificial rarity-market value among a small community of people willing to pay more for these in aftermarket collectible trade.

The only way to force these into rarity status that doesn't rely upon the above mentioned things would be to try and corner a market in them. It's not likely one or a few people could buy them all, perhaps ensuring value by destroying a vast quantity of them, then controlling how many ever appear in the aftermarket. So they will be around a long time, spread far and wide, but remain far from rare, save in the minds and distorted perspective modern collectors have come to embrace. Anyone with enough funds to corner a market in these would likely be wiser to buy/invest in true rarities, and collectors seeking rarity should ignore these marketed collectibles and save their money to buy market proven and supported rarities. Saving your $13.95 + s/h will go a lot further towards obtaining rare coins than locking up that much money in a single $1 coin of no intrinsic value whatsoever.

green18 and bkozak33 like this.
  10. jwitten

Wow, save your money, don't double it instantly! Right?

11. delila1

delila1 Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Doubling your money depends on listing your coins now. With so many orders being filled right now the eBay price could drop in even just one week.

12. jwitten

My guess is these will settle for at least twice original cost.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There are plenty of low mintage non rare coins being issued every year, especially foreign. Some of these are by non existant countries that make as few as 500-1,000 proof coins. Islands are proof of this and some Scottish ones come to mind, just can't remember the names. These are touted as rare because of the numbers made but good luck trying to sell them after your purchase. These are collector pieces and one should only buy if you like the design. On the other hand reverse proof U.S. coins are bringing great prices in the secondary market and are modern and of relatively low mintage's.

14. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

It seems to me these NA dollars should be of similar value to the 94 and 97 Jefferson matte 'proofs' and the 1998 Kennedy Silver matte proof. Same type of distribution (coin and currency set) and similar lower mintages. Plus its the first 'D' mint coin of this ilk to come to market. I do expect it to appreciate.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

Well, you know... I and a lot of other people expect it to snow, and eventually it will in some parts, but it's not very likely to be a white Christmas everywhere. The real question was not how much are/will these coins (be) worth, but rather, per the OP's inquiry with this thread, "...is it really considered rare?" No, says I.

mikenoodle and tommyc03 like this.
  16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Well, all I can say is they made 484,000 1909-SVDB cents. Being the 1st year of issue, a whole lot more than 50,000 were saved by enterprising individuals and look at them today.

Of course, there's always the short term market like what was experienced with the 1950-D Jefferson at a mintage of 2.6 million. (Still considered a key by many different standards)

Then there's the 70-D Kennedy Half Dollar. 40% Silver added to its intrigue but it enjoyed a brisk market in the early 70's with only 2.1 million minted.

My guess is if you can get the NA for $13.95 then you've got something to hold onto and pass down to your heirs heirs.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll hold 'em. One for the album (crack out) and two to have and 'hold'......

18. krispy

krispy krispy

I think the rate of preservation is much stronger than in 1909... and as I said, those were intended for circulation, the NA dollars we are discussing are not.

tommyc03 likes this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Cool, I appreciate the explanation on the A & B reasoning! Hopefully I get at least one of each! wof.gif

20. Danr

Danr Numismatist

There was still demand after the 50 K cut off.

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

In 1909 you didn't have all these novelty sets, mint sets, different finishes, novelty silver bullion, annual medal releases and BEP offerings for the collector to go after. Plus only four commemoratives were released and available by 1909. So collectors have it harder to afford every new item that comes along. They must now pick and choose what they want to buy and may not go back after items they didn't purchase initially. The same deluge of new items appears every year (Not to mention the registry and TPG coin collectors), and the purchasing power doesn't increase ex-potentially. So smaller mintage's today don't have the guarantee of producing future demands on these products later. Then there is the theory of: Is the hobby slowly going away because of the lack of new young collectors? Who will buy these sets if they don't?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted