2013 shield ddo

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Feb 11, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I believe this is a ddo. I see split serifs on the date liberty and the we of igwt I diffused the lighting as much as possible so the lighting didnt cause a doubling appearance. 20131.jpg 20132.jpg 20133.jpg 20134.jpg 20135.jpg 20136.jpg 20137.jpg 20138.jpg 20139.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

4. eric6794

I've an interesting day Chris. What do you mean by Oops. I'm testy :)

5. cpm9ball

I had posted a comment on your thread and realized that I was on the wrong thread.

Oops!

Chris

eric6794 likes this.
  6. eric6794

ive done that. I wish you can delete your own post because sometimes I post things in wrong threads. I use my crappy phone and sometimes it links posts together.

7. eric6794

any how, thoughts about this coin?

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything Eric. It looks normal to me.

9. cpm9ball

Phone? That just means that you're all thumbs.

Chris:woot::woot::woot:

10. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Looks normal to me. You want to check the thickness if the digits. typically the TY of liberty would be thicker/wider than a normal coin. A modern doubled die is going to have thickness and distortion on the date.
    Here is one I found 2011P-gooddate.jpg 2011P-IGW.jpg 2011P-liberty.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    TJ1952 likes this.
  11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Are you using some sort of USB "microscope" type thing to take the images (and possibly examine as well)? If so, such things are notorious for producing images that show what can appear to be notches/splitting or doubling that, in fact, isn't present on the coin.

TJ1952 likes this.
  12. tomfiggy

I use USB too but know how deceptive it can be. With the right (wrong) light, and angle I can make any shiny coin look doubled. With the USB camera, and LED lighting on a new shiny coin the reflections of the edge of the lettering can appear as doubling. It's not really there though. On a real doubled die the letters, numbers are going to be fatter than normal, and on a shield cent distorted, eneven, or twisted.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

There is no problem using a usb microscope as long as you know you need to verify anything that looks good by rotating the coin around a little to make sure light is not doing it. The only thing you truly need to verify with a loupe, or whatever of your choice, is if devices are raised or incusive if you are not familiar with that coin. A penny is a no brainer on what is what. But on some coins and some errors that scope will lie to you re: raised or incusive. A very powerful tool otherwise.

tomfiggy likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

So-called USB "microscopes" are a generally inexpensive tool that can, when used properly, offer acceptable results. There are, however, much better options for those willing, able, and/or dedicated enough to choose them.

15. Mark Oliver

Links please, I love new stuff.

16. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

17. BooksB4Coins

Actually, the other options are not new but long to fairly established. Anything from a stereoscope, to DSLR with macro or bellows attachment, to certain techniques used with simple P&S cameras. There are many past threads in which such options are explained, and often demonstrated, in great detail. It's not that USB "microscopes" are a poor tool, but just one that it generally limited. Similar to what you said though, understanding it's limitations is key. Unfortunately, there are many, many threads here (not this one or this OP) where again and again and again someone thinks they see this or that "variety" when, in fact, all they're really seeing are artifacts caused by their choice of equipment.

tomfiggy likes this.
  18. Mark Oliver

Alrighty then, thank you.

tomfiggy likes this.
  19. tomfiggy

87Dincuse.jpg 89Dibncuse.jpg 89Dincuse.jpg 92incuse.jpg 1990incuse.jpg

These are all incuse die deterioration doubling. They sure used to fool me. Even now sometimes. if you look in 2 directions it looks like the digits are doubled turning the 'scope shows the rut.

20. eric6794

I seen doubling with my loop as well but my eyes aren't that great. The first picture I posted I seen doubling in the erty especially the r which looks like it has a leg on it but it could very well be the lighting. I'm currently looking for a better set up because it's hard for me to use a loop because of medical issues. I need something that I can take a picture and load to a computer that doesn't cause a lighting issue around a $100. tj1952 posted a USB scope that looks promising so I'm going to look further into it but other suggestions are welcome.

TJ1952 likes this.
  21. tomfiggy

I have this usb 'scope. Cost me $40 a year and a half ago. I set it inside the plastic loupe body and outside light is blocked.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted