2013 series $5 FRN Ink smear on reverse

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Spiritawahili, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

IMG_20190904_222158.jpg PhotoEditor_20190904_222041930.jpg I receive this $5 note from a convenience store I frequent in my neighborhood. I have done extensive research. and was wondering what you all thought? I haven't been on here in a while and it's good to be back. thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looks like a stain to me. Smudges look a bit different, and either are small, or show the image found on the front of the note under it.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Could this have been caught up in the printing process? I've seen some samples from my research that look like this smear.

5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Good to have you back! :happy:

6. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

I understand, thank you. The center black mark and the one to the left are creased heavily. Like the bill has been pinched. Do you know what coud have done this?

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I would give no value/desirability to this note even if it were proven to be a "smear" while at the BEP. Now if it was actual identifiable print, that's another thing.

And the condition of this note :yack:....just spend it.

8. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

yeah the condition is not very good. maybe a 25-30 lol

9. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

Appears to be Post-BEP damage/stain.

10. CaptainMK

CaptainMK Active Member

Looks like damage/stain to me, I had a bill in my black wallet forever that was all folded up, I had to replace my wallet as it was failing apart, I found the bill still folded the same way as I put it in there and it had black smear looking stuff on it just like this. The reason I think its post damage is that it looks to be folded and stained from rubbing in post. If this was caused during printing, there would be smears on the black lines or anywhere on the black, at least I would think.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Smears are usually big blobs of green or black ink.
    Perhaps you can show the images in your research book that look like this. (Without violating copyright, blah blah blah.) Below are some ink smear errors:
    ink smear.jpg is2.jpg IS3.jpg Is4.jpg Is5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    James Shields and CaptainMK like this.
  12. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Wow... Now that is what I like.... Real answers very professional. Thanks everyone. Th pics are some of the same ones I've seen when i researched smears. The thing that is interesting to me is when I read some of the information that people write about smears especially from Michael K. I research too much sometimes, I guess... lol My local guy thought it was post mint damage from the bank when it went through one of their counters. Could that also be what this.?
    I used to work for a surveyor who collected headstones from people's Graves. I don't believe in that so I didn't work for him very much longer..lol something tells me that somebody will want it just because it's cool to them. is there anything unusual you guys collect? I used to have long hair and would use hair ties. one morning I found out I didn't have any more hair ties and I had to go to work. hair all blowing in my face.lol hard to get work done that way. I made one simple comment about needing to get one. I was walking a certain path and when I walked home there's a brand-new tie. nobody walks this path but me. that was 2013. if I get frustrated or worried about something I find a hair tie on the ground, so I pick it up to give thanks to the man upstairs. lol
    thanks again for your posts

13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it got stuck in a counting machine.
    I worked for many years as a land surveyor.
    I never collected actual headstones but I did collect some "rubbings". Take a large enough piece of paper with no lines on it. Lay it on the stone and rub the lead of a pencil across it. It will pick up the outline and shape of whatever is on the stone, and you haven't stolen anything.
    I used to have long hair and used hair ties, but, no offense, I never used someone else's hair tie or one picked up off the ground.

The most unusual thing I collect is Life Experiences.

14. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

lol no offense at all. the hair tie was brand new. I checked it out very closely.
    that's a very good quote

15. James Shields

James Shields Active Member

Example of a Solvent Smear.

50837CC9-8F2E-46E7-8541-C634ECB3B444.jpeg

CaptainMK likes this.
  16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

As for the OP note, it looked like some kind of "roller marks" to me,
    and may have been caught in a machine, although then it would have more
    creases and wrinkles.

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm not much of an expert on paper, but looking at the crinkle on the far left it looks like it was fed into something like a vending machine that promptly smeared it and crinkled it a bit.

A bank's money counter usually counts it width-wise.

Hookman likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a BEP error.

19. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Thanks all... Looks like it went through end to end in a vending machine type apparatus. It does have a "cloudiness" look to it on the far left side in the white area and it can look like those lines there are from a shadow made when I took the photo. But it is definitly a solid faded like mark. Cool Appreciate all the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted