2013 Kennedy Half ms68

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by chascat, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

To answer your question, the first thing to remember is unlike the book “Animal Farm”; not all grading companies are equal. In my experience over the years, we have sent into PCGS way more than fifty NGC graded Kennedy half dollars for cross over and they have almost always lost 1 – 2 point each (maybe three crossed grade for grade). As a general rule when buying NGC coins, we take the different grading standard into account and adjust accordingly, in other words we will offer or be willing to pay PCGS price of a MS67 coin for a NGC coin graded MS68.

Not sure if I qualify as a “serious collector” of Kennedy half dollars but I have a copy of Rick Tomaska’s book on Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollars and I would not recommend any collector of the series to buy this book – it is useless. The only books on the Kennedy series I would recommend is the current edition of the Red Book (for mintages) and the second book I would recommend even that it is outdated is James Wiles’ book “The Kennedy Half Dollar Book, An Attribution and Pricing Guide”.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Moderns aren't my cup of tea either, but why belittle what they collect? As long as they understand the financial ramifications (and that applies to older coins as well) and are happy, then that is all that matters.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The bit about the discrepancy between PCGS and NGC in grading Kennedys is simply untrue. I have had the opposite experience--generalizing on that is not accurate. Both companies grade Kennedys equally in my experience.

5. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

The discrepancy stated is accurate, even the market place takes it into consideration. Why do you think NGC graded Kennedy half dollars trade / sell for less than PCGS equally graded coins? Yes, sometimes NGC gets it right but even a broken watch is correct twice a day. Like someone else once said, “buy the coin not the plastic.”

On buying plastic, I have notice a better cross over rate to PCGS using the old white ANACS holders then using NGC holders, I have actually received a few coins back from PCGS with a higher grade then what was on the old white ANACS holder.

6. Morgandude11

I have had the exact opposite experience. Moreover, the price difference between the two grading companies isn't as big as you would have people believe. I think your responses are full of inaccurate information, as a major high grade Kennedy collector, I can say this with total confidence. Moreover, I buy either PCGS or NGC Kennedy halves freely, with no preference between holders.

7. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

You can think what you like, I guess there is some truth is the expression that "a fool and his money will soon be parted”. We made our fair share of mistakes when we started too (called it the "learning curve").

As far as being a “major high grade Kennedy collector”, I would put our set among some of the best, at least in the top twenty, in all probability within the top ten.

I know most of the “Major” high end Kennedy half dollar collectors (Proof, MS, and varieties) and we have either bought or sold to them. A majority of the high end collectors of the Kennedy series will agree with my assessment. But more important, the market agrees with my assessment, just look at Heritage, Great Collection or eBay on prices realized and you will see that on equal grades from PCGS and NGC the PCGS graded Kennedy almost always commands a higher price.

8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I also have no problem with either NGC or PCGS. I buy both as long as I like the coin! I have several of each which the grade does not match coin, but if I like the coin and the price, I,ll still buy it. Any graded coin may not be valued by grade alone, but with eye appeal and availability added, I make my decision. I also have a few ANACS slabs which I have no problem with. As for IGC slabs, I think they are over graded for the most part and I don,t own any for that reason. I have an extensive Kennedy collection Not in the registries but when I finally complete it, it should be a nice one. Until then, I will buy the coin, not the plastic.

9. chascat

I have a 2005-p business strike Kennedy, NGC graded 66. Any one without vision problems will grade it 67 min. but it looks 68. Quiet a difference!

10. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I would have to see the coin but I would have to imagine that the graders at NGC when needed wear corrective lenses.

Also when NGC started grading 2005 Kennedy half dollars they defaulted to the MS designation and only gave the SMS when the mint package was included that is why there are so many wolves in sheep clothing out there.

11. Morgandude11

Congratulations, I guess modesty and omniscience becomes you. However, you're flat out wrong about the superiority of PCGS Kennedy halves.

12. chascat

As I recall, in a recent thread, PCGS is said to be in BOTH the grading and dealing industry. This seems to me to be conflict of interest to the collector and the hobby as a whole. I will always beware of anyone who tries to monopolize or manipulate any market especially when my time, effort and money are at risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted