2013 Kennedy Half ms68

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by chascat, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Great book!! I've collected Kennedys for years. There are some definite rarities. To answer an earlier question, try and find a 1970D Kennedy Half in MS 67 condition--it is a $5000 coin (a definite conditional rarity for moderns). I have a 70D that is MS 66 and we are talking about HUNDREDS of dollars--I got it out of a mint set several years ago for $25 for the whole set.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I attended the Las Vegas Show in the fall and out of 150 or so tables I only found a hand full of Kennedys, none of which I liked. When I met with James Sego at the show, he showed me a 69-d in ms66+. A fabulous example which I had to have. It,s one of my favorite coins and it completed the set of 8 silver ms66 or better coins.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

For $5k I'd buy me a PR65 Morgan or a MS silver type coin.

5. Morgandude11

I already have those.

6. Dancing Fire

Much better buy than a $5K Kennedy!

7. Morgandude11

Each to their own-- people collect what they like.

8. chascat

I collect Kennedys and Ikes because in high grade they both have superior eye appeal, they are both fairly affordable, and they are a challenge for the collector. I love the Morgans but my taste in high grade and eye appeal prices me out of the game. In general, I can,t stand any of these series in baggy grades. I guess i,m just spoiled.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  9. Morgandude11

That's why I have gradually replaced Morgans with higher grade ones.

10. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yep, that's one reason I collect modern bu commem dollars, as well as their low mintages. Their eye appeal is just superior to a baggy Morgan.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

They follow the same rules of appeal and value as any Classic issue - high grade, conditional rarity. Just as solid numismatically as any other high-end examples of an issue.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, but now you can get them for melt.

13. chascat

Well, as morgandude stated, "each to their own", is a Morgan proof better than a ms Kennedy? That might depend on several things; personal preference, conditional rarity, absolute rarity, and above all, eye appeal. Lets do some simple math. A 1902 proof65 Morgan has a pop of about 70 coins and can be had for about $5,000. A 1970-d ms67 Kennedy has a pop of about 10 coins and can be had for about $5,000. The Kennedy is about 7 times rarer than the Morgan. This is an interesting equation for me. I need to know how many proof Morgan collectors vs. ms Kennedy collectors there are in order to estimate true rarity. I believe there are probably far more Morgan than Kennedy collectors out there. Does any one know the figures?

14. SuperDave

Well, the PCGS Registry has more Major Sets listed for Ikes than Morgans. Morgans have far more Specialty Sets because of VAMs, but I almost wonder if the collector base at the high end - the Registry types - is similar in size.

15. chascat

If the collector base is the same, then the 1970 ms67 Kennedy may be highly undervalued, however, the 1902 pf 65 Morgan has far more absolute rarity,and therefore, the values of these coins are similar. I think Kennedys may very well be, as stated earlier, the "Morgans of the 21st Century"

16. Dancing Fire

If you took these two $5k coins to a show guess which coin you will not be able to sell anywhere close to $5k?...:rolleyes:

17. Dancing Fire

LOL!!, they are still cranking out millions of Kennedy every day.

18. SuperDave

A Conditional Rarity is a Conditional Rarity. And they minted 600 million Morgans.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  19. chascat

Proof Kennedys are around half a mill. Business strikes are one and a half mill. Now, back to the topic of discussion, the 1902 pf Morgan has a mintage of 777. One in 12 coins struck are pf 65. The 70-d has a mintage of 2,150,000 (30% were plundered for silver) 1,440,000 may have survived for a ratio of one in 144,000 coins in ms67. A much tougher coin to locate. You probably won,t find either coin at a show, or may spend years looking for one. In auction, both will likely sell quickly!

20. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Who is cranking out millions of Kennedy (Half Dollars) every day? Not the US Mint...

21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Certainly not them...

Draft saved Draft deleted