2013 half dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Snowman, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

does anyone know why the uptick in half dollar production ...its been 1.8 million for most of the year and about the same low mintage for the past 10 years
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

That's amazing. What is more amazing is that I can't find any new coins in circulation or from the bank.

BigTee44 likes this.
  4. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Rassi likes this.
  5. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

oh yeah ..that's probably it.. I heard the mint strikes coins early not in the exact year on the coin to be ready for release dates in the early part of the calendar year

6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Could it be the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination?

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I think the Kennedy Half was not released for circulation in 2013, maybe only rolls & bags from the Mint with a premium price.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It wasn't Bob. Only as you state.........

9. superc

superc Active Member

Fear not. I bought some rolls of 2013s and intentionally spent them at various 7-11s and supermarkets in several states. I am fairly confident most of them are still out there somewhere.

10. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Yes, I understand that Bob. I order from the Mint a roll of each every year. What I was refering to is that ANY new coins from the FR are not available from the banks. They only carry re-rolled circulated coins, at least in my area.

Dave

11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

WHY ?

12. superc

superc Active Member

Too many youngsters and immigrants have never seen half dollar coins. It is sometimes amusing to watch how they handle getting one or two in a transaction.

I have been doing that for years. I used to use worn out Liberty or Barber quarters, then went through a period of ditching old worn out Franklins. Earlier this year I bought some 2013 Kennedy's and gave them away in change when I felt it was appropriate. My money, my choice.

green18 likes this.
  13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Generosity is a virtue. I applaud you.

green18 likes this.
  14. superc

superc Active Member

Thanks. The decision to pass out some new Kennedys was inspired by getting some new proof coins and an ASE back in change at a 7-11. I thought about it and then did it.

Draft saved Draft deleted