2013 $1 J Star Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SavageFountain, Jan 14, 2018.

1. SavageFountain

SavageFountain Active Member

I just got a few of the Kansas City Star notes. I was wondering what anyone thought as far as grading them. I noticed these have been selling for a decent price and was wondering if grading would have enough bearing on the price to make it worth the effort to grade them and then hold onto a couple. They came out of a new strap of $1 bills and would probably grade high.

If anyone has opinions or hints, please share. Thank you!

20180113_215837-1.jpg 20180113_215804-1.jpg 20180113_215817-1.jpg 20180113_215824-1.jpg

Drawde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

As far as I know, these are still in high demand.

Yours appear to have GEM or near GEM centering. The upper note seems to be the best of the bunch, depending on the registration. Having them graded would ease a buyers opinion, but ungraded examples have had no problems selling on eBay.

Very nice find.

4. SavageFountain

Thank you! I wish I could claim that I found them in the straps however, I bought them. That in and of itself was a sort of hunt and took quite awhile. I found someone who was willing to sell them pretty cheap and got lucky that way. I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

5. SteveInTampa

Note J00033041* appears to have some handling marks.

6. SavageFountain

That was the first one I was able to get. I hadn't been able to find one so when I saw the opportunity, I bought it thinking I wouldnt see another good chance to get one.

7. SavageFountain

I was going to keep all of them but tuition isn't cheap so some of these might need to go, we'll see. It's kind of hard to say what they might be worth down the road since it depends on how large a supply are found and how many people will want them.

8. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

What part of the USA did this take place? thanks...

9. SavageFountain

I believe that 3 of the 4 came from Virginia. As for the other one, I think it came from the West Coast.

10. SteveInTampa

If no other 2013 J*’s are printed, it will probably end up being the key star for the series. Star note run collectors consider run #1 from San Francisco L* to be the note to own (80,000 printed).

11. SavageFountain

Will they print anymore even though the 2017 notes have started to show up? I wasn't sure how the printing worked or if there would be an overlap.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's a new secretary of the treasury. I don't think they will print these any more.

13. SavageFountain

That's what I had thought but I wasn't entirely sure.

14. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

It can take a month or two for printings of the old series to wind down. As of November (the last monthly production report that the BEP has released) the Fort Worth facility still hadn't printed any 2017 $1's, so apparently they've still got a few 2013 $1 plates to use up.

Even after the transition to a new series is basically complete, it's not unusual to see a late printing of old-series star notes. That's often how the BEP uses up the last odd-sized batch of leftover old-series sheets. See for example the 2003A $1: at the end of the series, six months after any other printing, they randomly printed a run of 608,000 stars, which is a pretty weird quantity. Apparently they had 19,000 intaglio-printed sheets left over and didn't want to waste them....

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be printing 2013 notes in 2018 when there was a design change in 2017. That's not to say they won't. I just think it's bad form.
    When can we find out if they print and release these notes?

16. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The BEP's monthly production reports are here. The first Series 2017 printing was in October, and as of November the $1 is still the only denomination printed with the new signatures. Based on past series changeovers, it'll probably take six months or so to get new master plates made for all denominations--so at least some denominations will be printed as Series 2013 well into 2018.

Oldhoopster and Michael K like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted