2012 worn down Lincoln penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jodemi, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Jodemi

Jodemi Member

FDBAFC7F-AF3A-4C41-B507-5063255BB79C.jpeg 2EF318F4-667F-4D48-9E3D-2BF002EBDBBB.jpeg Hi, I found this in change. Looks like the 2012 Lincoln penny is wore down. It’s not that old so I thought I would ask your opinions. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

yes, worn down. A quick search on here would have turned up many posts with the same exact problem.

Also, if you haven't already, you should begin to educate yourself on the minting process so you can learn what can, and can not, possibly come out of the minting process.

Again, a quick search on here will provide you with a ton of posts and links on the minting process.

Good luck and have fun

4. Jodemi

Jodemi Member

Thank you, I’m learning slowly, just a beginner. I’ll take your advice.

5. I have very good news for you! Its worth Money!!!! It is worth a cent!!!!!!!

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why did you create this thread on the What's it Worth forum? Do you really think a damaged coin has some kind of value over face? Come on!

Just create any future threads for coins you might think are Mint Errors over at the Error Coins forum.. I'm not trying to be bossy but a lot of minor errors have very little or no premium at all. So don't worry so much about value. After we determine what you have then we can talk value.

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If you notice all the High spots are worn down

So .... someone may have rubbed it against a flat surface such as sandpaper.
    Maybe, since it was a Junk Lincoln as it has a zinc core and 8 micron thin copper flash plating, they were curious about the zinc. And thus rubbed both sides against something abrasive just to see ... because they were curious.

The next step for curiosity sake, is to place it in a small vial of muriatic acid and watch the zinc get eaten away. Then you'd be left with pieces of thinly stamped copper sheet with no internal structure at all.

of course, at that point it wouldn't be worth anything so you have lost 1 penny of value but gained undeterminant amounts of knowledge. (or just watch YouTube videos of it).

Of course, do not play with any acid unless you know what you are doing. So .. here's a video of it.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A small piece of sandpaper, a zinc Cent and some time is all you need to create your own errors. Not an error but it's damaged.

Draft saved Draft deleted