2012-P Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jac_00b, May 30, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Jac_00b

Jac_00b New Member

Hello, recently I found this 2012-P penny that appears to have two strange errors going on at once. On the left side of the coin, it looks like there is an off-center strike to everything on the coin except for some of the lettering. Around the edge and rim of the coin, especially visible on the reverse, you can see the words "In God We Trust" where they aren't supposed to be. This doesn't appear to immediately be a die clash as the text is rotated from where it would be if it was one. On the observe, you can see some of the words on the top right along the rim (it isn't damage, I can see with magnification that they are remnants of letters), as well as a few letters between where the normal text should be (it's kinda hard to see in the picture). What exactly is this? Is it a strange error or is it possibly PMD like a vise coin? IMG_0844.jpg IMG_0845.jpg p1.png

Attached Files:

• p1.png
      p1.png
      File size:
      3.5 MB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

It's a vice job. The extra letters are incuse and mirrored. The off centered look was caused by the rims of the two coins that were on either sides of it when it was smashed.

paddyman98 and Spark1951 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Vise alteration. Not a mint error of any kind.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Keep this in mind.. Just because something looks different, weird or strange does not mean it is a mint error. There are many ways a coin can be altered and damaged post mint.

But at least you understood what a vise job could be ;)

Oh, and welcome to CoinTalk!

Sharkbait46737 likes this.
  6. Jac_00b

Jac_00b New Member

Alright, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted