2012 Native American Proof Roll

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rockford, Aug 1, 2012.

1. rockford

rockford Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board. I'm a big currency collector, but recently started making the transistion to coins and bullion. I have a ton to learn yet, but we'll start with this -

2012 Native American S Proof roll

What's the story here? I've been casually watching the US Mint page since I started on coins back in Feb and I never saw these available. A few mins ago I was browsing ebay and saw a couple of proof rolls availble.

So I guess what my question is, when were these released by the mint and does anyone have the background info on 'em? Production numbers, price, etc etc.

I'm a huge fan of the Sacajawea and Tribe coins.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Someone broke them out of proof sets and rolled them up themself.

4. rockford

rockford Member

Interesting. Hate to sound stupid, but you don't learn unless you ask - Is this a fairly common thing to do? Are they worth purchasing like this? I'd love to have 'em, but the lack of "official" Mint wrapping and production is kind of a turn off.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I wouldn't buy them.
    My theory on rolled proofs is that they are coins that wouldn't grade well and
    the seller hopes to find someone hoping for a big score. Sort of like the "unsearched"
    wheat rolls that are sold on ebay. I might be wrong, though.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yes. It's fairly common.

Usually, the coins do not meet PR70DCAM so they are not submitted with the coins from the Proof Sets which "might" grade PR70DCAM.

To mimize the loss, extraneous proof coins are assembled in rolls and sold as such. The US Mint have never, ever offered rolls of proof coins. All that exist were taken from proof sets.

On some "rare" occasions, a seller actually makes money selling rolls of proof coins. More than what the sets cost to begin with but this is fairly rare.

I..............am not one of those sellers.

7. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

+1

Rockford, you can get these Sacs from the 2012 proof sets from the U.S. Mint.

8. Danr

Danr Numismatist

If you like the coins pick up those proof rolls- they should be cheap. I have purchased a few pr rolls and have always been pleased with the quality. As stated you will not get any pr70's but they are still usually good coins.

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

ok I looked them up- they are about $135- that is a bit much. the 2011's are about $70-$80. Wait one year and the price should drop

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Proof singles are always expensive the year they are released. Lots of collectors want to buy them to update their sets. I always thought singles prices were interesting, they kind of tell you relative popularity of sets. Cents and halves used to always be most expensive, followed by quarters, and nickels and dimes last. This was before they had one dollar coins obviously.

11. rockford

rockford Member

Thanks for the insight guys, your knowledge is appreciated.

Generally speaking - whats the overall popularity of the Sacajawea/Tribe coins amongst collectors? From what i've gathered the Presidential run is pretty unpopular.

12. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I think its a great looking coin this year, that reverse is A+.

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I like 'em- I used to get boxes (when they charged only face for them) and spend them all over the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted