2012 Mint Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kidmelody, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Kidmelody

Kidmelody Member

Anyone have any idea where I can pick a proof one up for a good deal? I am trying to get one for my son who was born in 2012 but the prices I see are crazy.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The set is going to run you about $100. There are 14 coins in the set. That is part of the reason for the high price. Ebay or a local coin shop are your best bet. Welcome to CT.

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I checked the link. It's a redirect as "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." and thus showed a 2006S for $9.99

6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Yes, LCS is best or maybe a small coin show around your area
    I like the idea of getting a proof set for your son. I'm hoping I can find a national bank note of where my father was born.

7. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Strange on the link. Here is what I was trying to link to

2012 mint.JPG

Clawcoins likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Find a local dealer. My dealer has them stacked so deep he almost pays people to take them away. Seems older established dealers may have a similar issue. Good luck!

Kidmelody likes this.
  9. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

The price on 2012 Proof Sets in the secondary market is one of the odder things I've ever seen. Like triple or more the price of 2013 Proof Sets and double the price of 2014 Proof Sets.

The mintages do not support this at all:

2012 clad mintage: 794,002

2013 clad mintage: 802,460

2014 clad mintage: 680,977

Anyone have an explanation for this?

10. Kidmelody

Kidmelody Member

My understanding it us purely because the mint stopped selling them earlier than normal. I ended up finding one for 80 bucks..none at my local store.

Another question for anyone...i also bought a silver quarter proof 2015 for my other son online and there appears to be a spec of something on the back of one coin...should I attempt to open and duster it off? It also appears to have condensation inside from sitting in my mailbox.

11. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

"My understanding it us purely because the mint stopped selling them earlier than normal."

Could be right. But IMO it doesn't make any sense if the final mintages are close to the same. I mean, I could maybe understand a short term price spike in 2013 when they first cut off sales. But it's been five years now. There are just about as many 2013s out there as 2012s.

I have a theory . . . would like to hear some others.

Draft saved Draft deleted