2012 Infantry soldier dollar (special set with 50,000 mintage)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Danr, Feb 15, 2012.

1. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I kept staring at the pictures of it while at work, trying to like it to justify buying one. I can't bring myself to get one though, especially at the $45-$50 range, not worth it to me, it's not pretty enough and certainly sort of bland in design. I'll certainly be waiting on the Star Spangled Banner when it debuts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

This didn't sell out in a weeks time frame? It was made available January 31, 2011 and they ended it at the end of the year. It was available for 11 months and they barely made 100k of them. The final mintage numbers were 107,810; 39,464 total for the proof and 68,349 for the uncirculated coin. They intended to only make 750k total, they were 642,190 shy of reaching their goal.

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Okay, from the second picture, you are right, it is a jumpmaster. The airborne doesn't have the star in a wreath. The insignia is the 1st battalion 505th infantry insignia.

Looks like that infantry unit fought first In Sicily.

It is an airborne infantry unit on that challenge coin. Just did a little more research on Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/505th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

5. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I ordered the BU example today along with the latest ATB puck.
    The design is, at best, uninspired.

6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Thanks for clearing that up rodeo. I'm surprised they only sold that many, considering it has a strong secondary market.

7. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Thanks for clearing that up rodeo. I'm surprised they only sold that many, considering it has a strong secondary market.

8. luke2012

luke2012 New Member

With the modern commemortives i mostly go with the uncirculated instead of the proof version because of the lower mintage.
    I think the proof version will have a very large mintage since 50,000 of these will go out the door with the "dog tag" set and
    a large number more will sell in the normal box since the price is much lower then last year.

The uncirculated version of this set could still be rare if the demand for the proofs causes a large majority of the maximum
    mintage to be proofs.

9. RZRS-EDGE

RZRS-EDGE Member

I went ahead and picked up 3, one of each.

10. luke2012

luke2012 New Member

The proof and unc both have a "w" mint mark making them one of only a few commemorative silver dollars minted at West Point. Some people collect by mint and could also be a plus to the value.

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

12. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

[flame suit] I ordered 2 unc. and 2 proof. Kinda like it. But I like Ikes too, so there you go [/flame suit]

13. Danr

Danr Numismatist

looks like the dog tag set will not be a fast sell out

14. chip

chip Novice collector

One of my local dealers had picked up a bunch of them, he asked me if I wanted one, I am sort of budgeting myself right now, I could but I just am not feeling it.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I tread the line between collector and investor very carefully. When I feel something's right I'll move on it. I'm with Chip on this one. Pick one up for collector sake, not investment.

16. green18

The Franklin Commems are a special favorite of mine and I bought the complete product offering back in the day. I don't regret it a bit because I enjoy all that is "Ben". :)

17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

on that level it was great and I still have mine- I got the whole package not just the coin

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Nope, but frankly overall sales are not setting the world on fire. Sales totals after 2 weeks.
    Proofs 37,813 Uncs 18,010 Dog tag set 23,406

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Harvey was telling me about this time you went out with a kite when it was raining .... :D

20. green18

Nah, that was Doug......:)

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

no doug went out on a kite not with one. he was in good spirits i hear :D

Draft saved Draft deleted