2012 Infantry soldier dollar (special set with 50,000 mintage)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Danr, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Danr

Danr Numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Yup, I agree with you Dan. They make a runaway sellout like the Army half, then they release this with the large mintage and less than desirable design. It's not there for me, I'll pass as well.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Nah, not excited over this one. The design is ordinary. If you can even call it a "design". I'm trying to figure out who the target market is for this??

Next up, they'll make commemoratives for every rank across all armed forces. The commemorative program needs a break IMO. They've had some good ones recently but it really needs a break.

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

And just like everything else the mint produces, low relief, middling details? The mint needs to step back to their roots, it's all too ordinary for me.

6. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I might just get an uncirculated one put it in an airtite and use it as a challenge coin while wearing uniform flag-smiley-7376.gif

7. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Hey caz, speaking of challenge coins. Check this out. This is going to a close friend after the submissions come back.

challengeObverse.jpg challengerev.jpg

8. I will likely pass on this offering as well. I might go for the uncirculated version due to potential low mintage but not the proof or the set with the dog tag. TC

9. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I know. I don't get it either. They will release 350,000 of this commemorative with probably so-so demand at best. On the other hand, they released only 100,000 of the 25th Anniversary Set, which they surely had to have known would have tremendous demand. :headbang:

10. luke2012

luke2012 New Member

i will probably buy a unc one. I will wait until i see a few items i want to justify the shipping.

11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Ugly, low relief, industrial grade design. Same garbage, different name. I simply don't see any attractiveness to this issue at all, as usual. The continued, and at this point you have to believe intentional, poor, inadequate art coupled with the third world quality ultra low relief on these issues is unabated.

If anyone knows someone on the CCACC you should tell them to resign. I know its not their fault, but maybe if the CCACC all resigned it may get someone's attention. As it is these coins are simply driving the modern commemorative program into the ground. :(

I know, I know, "how do you really feel about them Chris?"

12. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

It's Military so i am going to buy it..as long as it's not to redicilous in price :)

13. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

They have already set the price for it, I'm pretty sure. I still can't deside weather to get the proof or unc.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

But.......if you're a collector of modern commems (me :)) then it's a must have. I'll order a proof and uncirc...........

15. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Very cool challenge coin. I can only recognize it is a army airborne coin because of the reverse. My MSGT. has his own personal collection of challenge coins. It is very cool to look through :yes:

16. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

My SGT. Major collects toy cars :p

17. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

That's a jumpmaster reverse, not just airborne, right?

18. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

I agree with the others that it's not the greatest design, but I have other modern military commems and will probably end up adding both PF and UNC to my collection.

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Actually I don't think the Army half was a runaway sellout. They sold them up untill the end of the year last year, which was the latest they could sell them . The reason it was a low mintage is because nobody bought them. They would have sold more if they could have. It was only when the year ended and they weren't available anymore that people discovered that they were a hot item.
    With this issue and all commems, the announced mintages are the max mintages. If nobody buys them they won't make them.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is where the mint is really falling down. The circulation coins have to be low flat relief slugs, but the commemoratives don't have the same striking restrictions and could be made in much higher relief (not true high relief, that would probably still be impractical.). That should make them more attractive to collectors. Getting away from blah PC designs is another problem.

Army infantry people, but it will not be effectively marketed to them. Retired military, again with poor marketing. Collectors of military themed commemoratives. Collectors of Commemoratives in general. And finally coin collectors in general.

21. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

So it would safe to assume that how ever many left over pieces would be subject to melting? I know mints like Canada employ the same processes with their 1,001 commems they release a year, which would explain the low mintages. As for the Uncirculated Army half, this coin did sell out within a week's timeframe if I'm not mistaken? I might be blinded by the ASE 25th set juggernaut, but a one week supply is still a brisk showing for sales.

Draft saved Draft deleted