2012 cent... reverse lamination and die break error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, Sep 27, 2021.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

It appears to be a lamination error starting with STATES and continuing all the way to AMERICA. Then, it looks like a die break running up through the E in AMERICA. Did I get this right? 2012cropc.jpg 2012cropb.jpg 2012cropa.jpg 2012fullrev.jpg 2012fullobv.jpg

paddyman98 and Collecting Nut like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me it looks like the planchet was defective. Like a die crack on each end at the rims and a scratch in between. You could probably break off that piece. Very nice. Protect and leave as is.

dollar and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

While it does look like a possible die break, I think it is another lousy plating issue.

dollar likes this.
  5. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

There has never been a documented lamination on a copper plated zinc cents. (There has been some peeled plating issues mis-identified as laminations). A lamination is a separation of an alloy along horizontal planes of weakness. The copper plating itself is not an alloy and is only 8 microns thick, anyway.

While the Zinc Core is an Alloy, there has never been a documented case where there is a lamination of the zinc core. I suspect this is because the other metals in the alloy are such tiny amounts.

Zinc ALLOY 190: COMPOSITION (% by Weight) Lead = 0.005 max; Iron = 0.010 max; Cadmium = 0.005 max; Copper = 0.7 to 0.9; Zinc = Balance.

expat, dollar and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Have to agree with Pete's explanation above^^^.

dollar likes this.
  7. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Thank's... great information

8. Dearborn

Dearborn Above average collector - Is that an Error?

Yep, post 1982 Zinc Lincoln cents won't have a lamination error.

Draft saved Draft deleted