2011 Shield Cent Intentional Die Abrasion Obverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Maybe one day this will make it big like the " 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel " 1.jpeg 3.jpeg

swamp yankee and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't seem to understand. If it was an intentional abrasion why would it look as even as the field? Would it not look more raised almost like a Die Break, Die Chip is raised above the field? I know M Diamond gave you his response to this Cent but I'm just wondering what exactly a Die Abrasion is now.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

What was Mike Diamond response @paddyman98 ? Or the link.

5. Rick Stachowski

I posted on coneca forums ...

phankins11 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

know the 3 legged buffalo nickel was made the same way ...

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't understand how this could be compared to the abraded leg of the buffalo nickel. I understand how a portion of the leg could disappear because the leg is nothing more than a narrow strip through the field, but this space is in the middle of Lincoln's head!

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Both were caused from the same-thing, or way, thats all . I just don't understand why they just didn't trash the die ...

9. cpm9ball

The same thing? I disagree! How could a deeper recess of a die (Lincoln's head) be abraded to form a flat surface below the fields of the die without affecting the remainder of the surrounding head?

Chris

10. Rick Stachowski

Heres a new image I just took . I think theres more then that going on myself too . Look at Abe cheek bone and under his eye too . That doesn't look normal, but who am I ... A022 - 20150726_075435 (2).jpg

11. cpm9ball

I don't know, either, Rick! What I do know is that the US Mint should stop making a crappy cent altogether!

Chris

12. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

13. Rick Stachowski

14. paddyman98

I didn't want to post that webpage myself since I was not sure if I could link to another Coin Forum (I did not want to seem intrusive since it was your own thread)... But I see you did it ;)

15. Rick Stachowski

Theses Shield Cent have only been around since 2010, how much can be known about them in 5 years ?

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It looks like the die was filled with junk to me.

non_cents likes this.
  17. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

Amen to that. You might have something there Rick, i get what you are saying it really dose not matter what part of the coin this abrasion is located its that it is there on the coin. The three leged buffalo was where the abrasion happened just on the spot where the fourth leg was. Is that correct, or am i thinking the wrong way of this abrasion. It wouldent be the first time i was thinking the wrong way, i think. Lol

18. cpm9ball

The 3-legged buffalo occurred when the field of the die was polished (down) to the depth of the leg.

Chris

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 3 legged buffalo was caused by Houdini and Lincoln shaved his head to create a bald spot.

20. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

If you look a little to the left and lower you can see the coin has a DOUBLED EAR!

21. paddyman98

91stang2 and Rick Stachowski like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted