2011-S Silver Eagle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mojavedave, May 7, 2019.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I have searched EBay for the burnished 2011-S Silver Eagle. I cannot find one that has an -S mint mark. Are they not produced in San Francisco.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Looks like they were struck in SF. Although they do exist, they are apparently of a very low mintage, and thus very valuable.
    http://www.coinweek.com/silver-eagles/2011-s-burnished/

Is this what you were looking for?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-S-SIL...249440?hash=item3b30d3ade0:g:C-4AAOSw5LZcx6iW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-S-EAG...724511?hash=item3409fab45f:g:kb4AAOSwpo5cz0YC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-S-EAG...065699?hash=item2f2f2ee663:g:XiYAAOSwWqxch7t9

There were only 3 results to my search on ebay, and two of the coins go for $300.

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Yes, Thank you. So what are the 2011-S without a mint mark, even though the graded ones say 2011-S. Are they burnished ?

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

They are the "bullion coin" out of the 2011 Anniversary Set. I have about 10 of them. But, they are not recognized by the coin community because they aren't in Certification slabs.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

S 's-less'? Settle for nothing but the 'real deal' and that is a coin with a valid mint mark.........

7. Inspector43

I doesn't matter where they were minted, the "bullion grade" ASE's do not have mint marks.

8. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thanks Green, I always learn these things to late.

green18 likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite right, but there were folks peddling these things (having bought monster boxes from an particular mint), getting them graded, and passing them off as legit mint coins...........

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Well, technically, they are legit mint coins.

11. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The 2011 25th Anniversary set had 5 coins. A proof, W mint burnished, and regular bullion coin that could all be purchased separately. There were 2 special coins, a P mint reverse proof, and a S mint burnished eagle that were exclusive to the set and limited to a mintage of 100,000.

12. Inspector43

The mint claimed that the bullion coin in these sets could have been produced at either the San Francisco or the West Point Mint. Therefore, big dealers bought the monster boxes with the shipping address so they could get them certified as a particular mint. "Experts" claimed that all the surfaces were the same on the bullion coins regardless of the mint and you can't tell a true bullion coin from one that was in the 5 coin set. I think you can if you study enough examples.

13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

PCGS has certified over 40,000 of the subject coin, a regular bullion strike, struck in SF, which came from a sealed Monster Box with the appropriate mint markings. The coin MUST be certified to qualify for the designation.

14. Inspector43

It is sad that collectors today have been driven to needing a "certification" for everything.

15. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

These phantom mint mark issues were invented by the TPGs to trick fanatical bullion collectors into paying premiums for regular bullion issues.

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Inspector43

Exactly. I have more than 10 that came straight out of the 2011 5 piece set. But, They are not certified. Therefore no extra value. Doesn't bother me. I think my grandchildren will believe what I tell them.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was at the Fun Show when these came out. Folks were bringing these sets in by the cart full to have PCGS grade them. I didn't notice NGC but bet it was the same.
    If I'm thinking right, they had to see the sealed box in order to get the fancy label. Forgot what it was called.

The folks bringing the coins in would haul all the packaging away. This got me thinking about what someone evil could do with the packaging.
    The Silver Eagle program has grown to the point that a collector needs to be sure of what they are buying. I love them but lost track of all the varieties.

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted