2011 error pennies

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by scouter35, Nov 21, 2011.

1. scouter35

scouter35 New Member

Hello CT,
    scouter35 here. i went to the bank today and got three boxes of machine wrapped pennies. However, two of them are completely 2011-P. I was wondering before i open them all, have any of you found any 2011 error pennies? i want to know only because i do not want to have to roll up another $50.00 of uneeded pennies.:desk:

Thanks,
    scouter35

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Are you asking if anyone has found any 2011-P varieties or errors? Errors (e.g., off centers, clips, broadstrikes, brockage, etc.) are often unique and are usually produced individually but varieties (e.g., doubled die) can be produced in large numbers because the die(s) with the anomaly can strike thousands of coins.

4. scouter35

scouter35 New Member

yes, i am wondering if anyone had found any.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

6. Cochisz

Cochisz Chief coin collector

Rickmp, I normally go through two boxes or so of pennies a month And have been looking for a good site with good penny information Android these two are wonderful thanks for the sie help. Tom

7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

in the 2011 P mint pennies there are quite a few of different types of doubled dies from different dies. most are so minor that they may never be worth anything . The type that is doubled the strongest is quite awesome with doubling showing on the date and almost all the letters. this is the only type I keep and they appear to be hard to find.

8. proxymom

proxymom New Member

Am new to this site and fairly new to collecting error coins as well, but the need to tell you THANK YOU for posting these links made me have to register despite having an older slower puter and a hubby who keeps telling me not to register cuz it slows the puter down!! LOL LOL!! So not only Thank You, but THANK YOU!! Needless to say they are proving to be a big help on this end!!

My name is Rose and I live in a very small NM town that has one whole street light that constantly blinks red on all four sides. I have some health problems that are slowly but progressively limiting my mobility, but I can still get around, just not as far or as fast as I used to. We have a little local newspaper here that has been in existance for over a hundred years and the two current co owners/editors are both seniors who have been there for 40+ years. Being seniors, it has become more difficult for them to roll all the change from the newspaper racks each week so I began rolling it for them over a year ago. Recently I was checking the stacks of coins for any silver ones when another longtime resident happened to come in and asked if that was what I was doing. When I told her "YES" she asked me if I had also been checking for any "ERROR COINS" and proceeded to tell me about them when I said that I had no idea what she was talking about. I was aware of the silver coins due to simple fact my husband had a collection of old coins when we married in 85 and has been occasionally adding to it through the years, but finding out about the error coins, their value, and the massive community of collectors involved with them when I have access to so much change from the paper, plus several containers of pennies we have collected over time, seemed like a plausable extra income that I can definitely use right about now. But there is a fast developing problem and its MY HUSBAND!!!! He is currently working out of town and comes in on the weekends. When he first came in after I started sorting through all the change he was intrigued, then I made the mistake of showing him some of the keepers I had already found and I watched the intrique in his eyes turn into utter fascination. He took my " in od we rust " quarter that also happens to have a chunk of metal cleanly cut out of it into the kitchen to look at it where the light was better. A few mins later I realized he hadn't brought it back, so went in to get it from him and he was STILL looking at it!! He didnt say anything when I took it away, but he wasnt looking too happy about it either! I now have to learn a LOT of things FAST, starting with the basics like how the people are taking such close up pictures and the best way for a newbie to sell them online and about a million other things in order to get them out of the house ASAP. He already asked me if he could take a couple of them to work and show a couple of the guys that might be interested enough to buy them. DUH!!! He never even asked what they were worth! Needless to say, I told him NO because didnt want to risk him getting them mixed up and spending them accidentally. Once again, not a happy camper on his end, but the up side of it is that he is now looking long and hard at all his change BEFORE he spends it and has brought me home a couple of oddball looking coins to "Check Out" but he dosent want to sell them unless they are worth A LOT! LOL LOL!!! Anyways, thats the situation on this end and why you posting those sites was such a big help! Needless to say, any other helpful information from you, or anybody else for that matter, that qualifys as crash course lessons towards turning a newbie into someone who knows enough to lose the "NEWBIE" title would be very much appreciated! Thanks Again!! n HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Walter Marx likes this.
  9. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Ive been staring at this roll of 2011 p cents for a while now myself. I already searched 2 boxes. I think the errors to look for on the new shield pennies would have to be polished die trail errors on the obverse and reverse. I havent found many errors on 2011 cents but 2010's were great. Also look for bubbled lamination errors. Ive also been noticing some interesting marks on the upper left side of the shield.
    Heres a nice 2010 die trail
    2010ERRORCENT.jpg
    DIRTRAIL.JPG

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

"bubbled lamination errors" that's a new one! Sounds like something you'd see on ebay worth thousands. There are tons of these in circulation, and in fact are difficult to avoid completely in some issues. They seem nearly impossible to find 'without' this effect to some minor degree.

11. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Scouter wanted to know what errors to look for. I didnt say they were worth thousands. By all means if they are so difficult to avoid, let me help you avoid them by sending me all that you find.

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

What I was saying is they are not errors. They are caused by improperly washed planchets, contaminated plating material, and plating at the wrong temperatures. The gas bubbles are trapped underneath the copper plating that welled upward when the coin was struck.

13. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Improperly washed planchets are recognized by all the major grading companys as mint errors.
    How can you say that a coin with bubbles all over it is not a mint error?
    Im not saying they are rare, but they do deserve credit as "significant" mint errors.
    Heres proof they are mint errors..
    bubbs.jpg

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I don't see where they labeled it as an error. Just IDing it as bubbles.

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I find these quite often while roll searching. most of the time they go back to the bank. I did save a few of the most extreme ones , they are warty looking as a toad frog. a few months back Mr. Weinberg sold a few of them on Ebay for around 12.00 each so I saved a few that I found. I may start saving some more of them.

16. VDBforDave

VDBforDave Lincoln Error Collector

Y'all should know theres really no "set" price on these types of coins...It's all about What Someone is willing to pay for a coin,regardless if its an "authentic" error or not.

In my opinion, I'd save anything out of the ordinary,especially if its a high grade. The picture that Howard posted with the Bubbled coin is a nice red coin! and the bubbles give it a sort of "uniqueness" if you will. Just my opinion of course.

17. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

I have tons of ANACS graded error coins. Not one of them says "mint error" on the label. You have got to be kidding me rockdude. I guess Fred Weinberg sold them because they arent mint errors, and he's not the #1 mint error dealer in the world today.
    I dont use forums to troll. I use them to learn and help others. You are not learning nor are you helping anybody in this thread by spreading your disinformation. We understand that your'e too cool to collect these errors, but dont try to say that they arent mint errors. Its really not debatable.

18. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It sounds very immature to resort to name calling and should not be done here on CoinTalk!

19. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

OP, you may want to take a visit to the CONECA website as well.. you may find some useful information there. www.conecaonline.org

20. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

Im not being immature and no names were ever called. You tried to call me out and failed to do so. Your comment you originally posted was immature. Saying that improperly washed planchets and bubbled laminations are not mint errors is just not true. Not only are they genuine mint errors, they are also deemed "significant" enough for the tpg's to acknowledge them on labels. Sometimes the tpg's will not acknowledge new, or minor errors. I have received the "this mint error is not significant enough" sticker on other new minor errors, but not these. It really upsets me that the companys do this and I think its wrong. A mint error is a mint error and that should be that!

21. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted