2010-W ASE without the "W"?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AFC, Apr 9, 2010.

1. AFC

AFC Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

In 2006, the US Mint only proofs and burnished ASEs have the "W". The uncirculated don't.

I have last years ASE uncirculated without the "W".

4. krispy

krispy krispy

The W mintmark for Westpoint is placed on collectors versions such as Proofs for certain years and the burnished versions for specific years. In the earlier dated ASEs you will see other mintmarks in use for Proofs as well, this can be found online or in the Red Book. In 2009 there were no proofs nor collector versions released from the US Mint, therefore no 2009-W. The 2009 was only a bullion coin but many collectors bought them in lieu of the missing collector versions. So far in 2010 only bullion coins without the W have been released with no firm announcement from the US Mint as to whether or not there will be any 2010 Proofs or burnished collectors versions coins being released. The one in the OPs thread, the SGS slabbed coin is a 2010 bullion coin, nothing special about it, currently worth the price of spot plus what ever the dealers add for a premium over spot, usually $1-$2 dollars is acceptable per ounce. Since 4/5/2010 the 2010 silver unc ASE mintage is over 9,053,500 ounces sold.

5. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

That ad has all kinds of problems.

Never heard of SGS, sounds like a basement grader, but the label on the slab says
    2010-W
    Silver Eagle Dollar
    Without the W Mintmark

Im sure the top 3 TPG's would not have made the label like that.

And I question that grade too. MS yes, MS-70, doubtful.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

All collectors should steer clear of SGS. They're a joke.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Then how could you call it a westpoint issue with out the mint mark??

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Coins are also minted at Westpoint which do not bear the W mint mark Rusty.

9. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

To my knowledge, only West Point mints the ASEs, AGEs, and ABGs.

10. krispy

krispy krispy

The West Point Mint also strike Lincoln cents for Philly, which have no P mint mark, nor would they have a W being for Philly.

Many early ASE proofs from 1986-1992 were struck in San Francisco. Proof ASEs 1993-2000 were struck in Philly. Unc from 2000 and Unc and Proof from 2001 onward have come from West Point. The 2006 reverse Proof was minted in Philly.

11. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

There's also the 1996 W Dime that was minted at West Point.

-LTB

12. krispy

krispy krispy

except that does bear the W mintmark,

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Scam-o-roo. All ASE's are minted at the West Point facility. "W"s haven't been minted there since 2008. This jackass is livin' on the edge.....

14. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

At least somebody didn't get ripped too terribly bad. Hopefully, they'll crack it out of that joke of a holder.

I noticed the seller didn't hype the "error". They still listed it as an UNC ASE and let the SGS label do the talking. They only agreed with the grade by stating "In our opinion, this coin would be graded MS70".

It's a scary though that "SGS" is labeling UNC ASE's as "No W" errors. I wonder how many will fall prey. Who are these people anyway? I always took their labels with a grain of salt as it was, but this is going too far.

I wonder if they labeled any 2009's like that.

15. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

Yeah, I was actually responding to Numismatist47's comment about how ASE, AGE, and bullion being the only coins minted at West Point. You pointed out cents and I was pointing out the dime.

-LTB

16. Zzyzzyth

Zzyzzyth Junior Member

I guess they're not really labeling it as an error, my bad.

They are minted at Westpoint, but the label just seems deceptive. At least, that was my initial perception.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not since 1986.

They also struck quarters without mintmarks from 1976 to 1979.

All of the ASE bullion coins have been struck at West Point since 2000 so to describe a 2010 bullion ASE as a 2010-W without W mintmark is accurate, just misleading. Someone who doesn't know better might think they were an error instead of realizing that they are ALL like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted