2010 U.S. Mint Proof Sets Condition

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ammkost, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ammkost

ammkost Junior Member

I received my 2010 Mint Proof sets in the mail yesterday. Upon inspection I noticed in one of the sets,that one quarter has rotated or was not originally aligned properly with the other 4 National Park quarters. It appears the capsules are in a larger cut-out inside the presentation case.
    Also the James Buchanan Presidential dollar has a raised bump at approximately 5 O'clock in the mirrored field between his profile and the rim.
    Question to all.......Has anyone seen these types of quality problems with these new sets.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ammkost

ammkost Junior Member

I forgot to mention that I will return this one set and also complain to the improper mail packing and packaging of these sets.
    The outer boxes on two of the sets were slight dented during transit.
    I wish they would protect them better for us collectors.
    Thanks all, Sam

4. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Its the goverment, you get what you pay for, ;)

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Yep. Have seen CT members report such QC issues and have experienced the shoddy packing. You have 7 days to return your product, don't miss the deadline to do so.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Then you should get good packing and top quality, inspected merchandise, because you are really paying the Mint A LOT for these sets.

7. panda

panda Junior Member

i find the prices crazy, compared to how they used to be. but i guess with all these new series of dollar and quarter coins, they have to make it more. i will probably never own another mint/proof set from '99-present. i only got this one, because i am in love with new shield cent. even thats a stupid reason for buying it.

mine has still not arrived, i just hope i don't have to play games and send it back.

8. If you are not happy, send it back. I am also glad to hear you have complained so that their attention is brought to the poor quality, etc. Let's just hope the fulfillment center does not just send it back out to another person. TC

9. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I got mine from a dealer for 34.95. Better than 4.95 shipping/handling. I'm happy with mine, but the price is ridiculous for what it costs to make the coins.

10. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

My Kennedy Half Dollar was upside down lol. Look closely at the presidental dollars too...I can swear I see spots on mine. They arent bad but not great either.
    You would think for the price paid that the Mint would have done a little better.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

WRONG!

It's the Government, You may get what you OVERPAY for, if you're lucky!

12. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

You pay for Crap you get crap simple concept

13. djaeon

djaeon Member

My thoughts exactly! I'm still excited to get mine:) It'll be my first proof set. Love the park quarters.

14. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

They dont really care lol

15. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Let me ask you something.

Does the fact that the coins are in a capsule large than the coin so they move around detract them from what they are, ie proofs?

The same thing is true of proof sets from the mid to late 60s, and pre-66.

16. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

My Franklin Pierce Proof Dollar from my proof set has "Copper Spots".

17. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

We buy them in bulk at work and I have seen some extremely shoddy packaging as well as cracked holders in the past few years.
    When I sell a set I always make sure the customer gets a good look. If they're not satisfied I grab another set.

18. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

It really sucks that our government is perfectly content with selling damaged/non-quality products

19. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Both of my pres set have weird wavy bumpy fields. Any of you all see anything like this on yours?

20. ammkost

ammkost Junior Member

Thanks all for your comments.
    I'm sending this one set back and considering cancelling my subscriptions with the Mint.
    As stated in an earlier post, to keep my mint set run current, I can go to my local coin dealer and hand pick future sets.
    The prices of this 2010 Mint sets and the recent Uncirculated sets are indeed overpriced for the quality given for us collectors and strangely both sets are priced the same.
    Upcoming................. the 2010 U.S. Mint Proof Silver set............ya wonder.........

21. 9Stein

9Stein New Member

Just received a 2010 Silver proof set with the exact same problem you mention.
    I joined this forum to get an opinion about whether that was an important enough issue to return the set, or if anyone has opened a proof set to fix any similar issues.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to safely open the proof set holder without damaging anything ?

2. Would opening a proof set automatically devalue it, or can it be opened and treated with kid glove care, and closed again, without devaluing ?

3. If #2 is reasonable, does anyone have instructions on how to carefully open the set ?

I am probably going to do as ammkost has done, and return the set.

Thanks in advance to anyone who proffers their wisdom, and avoids flaming me.

Draft saved Draft deleted