2010 Red Book????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Just Carl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

OK so here we go again. Just got an email from Whitman advertising the 2010 Red Book coming out April 7th. No postage if you order now. Naturally the prices in that edition would be as useless as the 2009 edition.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

The prices aren't useful, but it's a good read. There's a lot to be learned.

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I don't think anybody expects up to the second or even up to the month accurate pricing from an annually printed book. It's just rough ballpark estimates to get you within 20-50 dollars the vast majority of the time. Many times, it's much more accurate than that. Even over the entire year.

Except for the most volatile, hottest coin types on the market, how much does a MS-64, 1881-S Morgan really change on a monthly basis? Unless bullion is swinging wildly?

If somebody inherits a collection and knows nothing, they should be able to buy a Red Book and get a very good idea of the dollar value of the collection. In that sense, I wouldn't call the price guide useless. To say they're not useful is an exaggeration IMO.

I guess it all depends on what you're using it for. A basic $50-$100 coin this year is probably going to be around that next year and is not going to swing hundreds of dollars over the course of a year.

5. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I have alot of these Red Books, in fact almost the entire regular issue run. The information contained in each current edition is very useful to me. I always look at basic info about the coins series and the mintages of each year. Understandably, a book thats only issued once a year cant in any way be accurate as far as values go, it can be close in some cases but never accurate, this is why the book is called a "guide". I'm sure there was a time when this was the only information/book that collectors had to go by when they were buying.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Let's see.
    You're buying a book with next year's date and last year's prices.
    Outside of info (not prices) on the newest coins I can't see a reason for getting a new Red Book more than once every 5 years.
    Unless you are collecting Red Books. Quite a few people do.
    The historical info rarely changes.

7. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

I love the redbook but I usually only get one every couple of years.

I usually just buy mine at wal-mart!!

8. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

When do they get released at Wal-Mart??

Allen

9. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've heard that some WalMarts carry them but I've never found them at the two stores we have here.

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I agree with you that there is probably no better all around information book on the market. There are presently a lot of books on coins but most are just repetitive of info available everywhere. Lots of people jumping on the band wagon so to speak with books on coins.
    And very true that at one time there was only the Red Book. I remember when they first came out. There was only Whitman making folders for coins and then that Red Book. Not sure but I suspect that Whitman may have invented the grades of coins. No one else would say that a coin that is actually poor is good.
    I've complained to Whitman many times over the years about why that book is one year in advance. Why not call it what it is? Answer is just tradition. The first one came out in 1946 and was called 1947 so they do the same from that time on.
    And always be carefull of some of the info in that book. Many errors are now common since that book is so mass produced.

11. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

They usually get there in about Apr from what I remember.

12. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Most magazines are distributed well in advance of the date on the cover. So what? That's just how it is done.

Car makers will soon start selling their 2010 models. I suppose they should either wait until Jan. 1, 2010 to sell them or call all cars sold during this calendar year 2009 models.

13. maksimfa

maksimfa New Member

So the new book will just add in the new 2009 coins?

I did find the red book in the spiral bound at no other place than Michael's arts and crafts.

They usually have from time to time a 40% off coupon, and accept competitor coupons.

I bought my copy from border's with their 40% off. I do prefer the hard copy verison. seems it would last longer.

14. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Nobody I knows buys the Redbook for prices,

Nobody I knows buys the Redbook for prices (except neebies) they buy it for reference and it's a great reference.
    The only really up to date pricing guild is the Greysheet and it take a little interpretation also.
    If anyone is ever hoping for a completely up to date and accutarate price guild good luck - I've never seen such a thing.

15. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Maybe if you wait a couple of months, they'll put out the 2011.

I like the Redbook, but I don't consider it any better than, say, the North American Coins & Prices guide put out by Krause which includes coins from Canada and Mexico.

17. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Not really true about cars. For example when a car comes out like the first Mustang, it was called a 65 1/2. My own Malibu was supposed to be a 2005, since it was designed for 2005. Instead they called it the Malibu 2004Z. Why the Z? Know one knows. But when I need parts, I order 2005 parts. 2004 parts don't make it. Most autos come out in late Fall, not Spring of the year they are made. And again most auto makers call a car made differently from the ones of the year being made something else. Usually xxxx 1/2 or something like my Z.
    So that is not how it is done. The thing about the Red Book is you must realize it is being made in 2007 to be able to be realeased in 2009 and carry the name 2010.
    Have you ever seen a car made in say 1988 being sold in 1989 and carry a date of 1990? NO. The DMV would not allow you to register such a car.

18. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I did not know they sold them at wal-mart!

19. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Have you ever read the back of the red book? They get their pricing like three months before they release the book, not two years.

20. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

And there goes mr quote anything and everything instead of being original.
    As for Walmart carrying the Red Book. Around me they too never have them. Most people I know get them from the Walmart web site. Usually, not always, cheaper than anywhere else.
    If you go to the Whitman web site you would notice this year they will now have also a ringed version with the rings covered. Not sure if hard or soft covered. So they may have several different types out soon. In the past the Walmart web site used to have them in late April or early May. Coin shows not until June around me.

21. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

This debate seems to re-ignite every time the new edition comes out.

In short, I get mine every year because it's a good summation of the new year's coins, great mintage figure details, as well as being able to see the trend in coin values.

Yes it's not a great way to find current coin prices, but it will give you good rough ballpark figures and at least will be able to show you which coins are more valuable than others.

Anyway I hope this dead horse doesn't suffer too many more beatings, at least until next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted