2010-P Lincoln Shield Die Crack Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GregBnCoins, Dec 26, 2010.

1. GregBnCoins

GregBnCoins Member

What you think? Xmas '10 022.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Possibly but the picture is blurry when you blow it up..almost looks like a scratch in my eyes. If you can provide a better picture that would greatly help!

4. PFCBEGA

PFCBEGA Staff Numismatist HA.com

A die crack isn't really an error, it just means that the die has gotten so deteriorated that the die literally started to break. Doesn't really ad any value

5. GregBnCoins

GregBnCoins Member

cointalk 009.jpg Hopefully this picture will be a lil' clearer!

6. dbkinvestments

dbkinvestments New Member

It definately look like a scratch to me.

7. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Not trying to be rude but an error is an imperfection on the coin and a die crack is an imperfection

8. dbkinvestments

dbkinvestments New Member

I agree Harley.d

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would say it is a scratched die.

10. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

Thank you

11. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

A die crack is the result of die wear and not the result of an error in the minting process. It is a condition of the age of the die. does it have any added value? no.

12. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

But at the mint they have to check dies and when the die breaks and they don't catch it, it is considered a error because a lazy or undetailed worker does not see this screw up and let's the coin go so a error it is

13. ziggy9

They do not check the dies after every coin is minted and until a die crack reaches a certain size they do not bother to replace it. The mint is not in the business of creating coins that are perfect for collectors they are making coins that are acceptable for commerce. A minor die crack does not affect the accepability of a coin for use in every day spending.

14. GregBnCoins

GregBnCoins Member

I just found it interesting, and unique! Value or not its still a keeper, anyway who knows down the road! Plus its the first I've found in the Shield series from the first year of issue! Happy hunting!

15. ziggy9

By this definition every coin that grades less than MS70 has an error.

16. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Scratches don't Mean a thing.... They just mean the copper or medal is just been tampered with it so its scraching

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

PCGS's definition

18. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

WOW rough topic but sticking my 2 cents in lol. If it is a die break later on it could be worth some money. If you do not believe that google search VAM World were they have a bunch of die breaks for Morgans and Peace dollars. I own a 1922P Peace Dollar that falls under the 12A Moustach Peace Dollar.

19. Harley.d

Harley.d Love coins

But then mat your saying is that there is no such thing as error then

Draft saved Draft deleted