2009 Ultra High Relief Double Gold Eagle?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phalanxcronos, Aug 22, 2012.

1. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

Great little mini ashtrays.

OK...They are kinda cool.
    Or you could have a 100 year old coin for the same price that might go up in value.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the mint doing more and being more innovative though really it would just be catching up to others. That said 2 oz of gold with the premiums probably wouldn't be to popular unless the mintage was really low. The big fear on something such as that is that it would basically turn into a bullion piece in the aftermarket down the road

imrich and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care myself if it didn't trade with a premium down the road (assuming I got mine from the Mint and didn't pay one myself !:D).

There are some silver coins and I also believe 2 oz. gold coins with some of the 1907 patterns from Augustus Saint-Gaudens, like the woman Liberty with an Indian headdress. A few were on HA and GC.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care if there was no premium down the road myself, but if I expected that I would wait for the aftermarket and get one with no premium.

Realistically I think the 2 oz silver coins would probably be a better venture assuming the premiums weren't insane as the cost is just much lower. Daniel Carr did some renditions of that design and I think that may be what you are referencing if I remember correctly

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They did that so that they could be struck with one blow, rather than up to 8 for the original high reliefs.

7. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

When the Smithsonian closed the old numismatic exhibits, they put up a small one in the Castle, and on one of the boards was an original UHR struck on a pair of $10 blanks back-to-back. I thought it was the most amazingly cool coin I'd ever seen.

When they announced they were going to remake those, I told my wife I didn't care what they would cost, I was getting one.

I still think it's a magnificently beautiful coin, and the fact that it's worth double what I paid for it does not enter into the equation.

8. GoldFinger1969

I think Burdette's Saints book has pics and commentary on that pattern/coin.

Believe it or not, it's what started me learning about the original Saint-Gaudens. Before then, I didn't even know they existed.

Is it ? I thought prices had come down sharply, or at least the premium, compared to a few years ago.

9. GoldFinger1969

It was some National Historical thing to honor ASG. They weren't struck by the U.S. Mint.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I didn't get into collecting coins until after my father died and he left his to my brother and me. He had about 20 Morgan and 10 Peace and a few older coins, but not much to speak of. My brother had them and he gave me a list of he coins and asked me to recommend how to divide them. I did the best I could and made two lists and told him to decide which ones he wanted and I would take the other. It was then that I started to research coins and became a collector. That was 10 years ago. During my research, I contacted a dealer to help me. I bought my first coin from him. It was the 2009 UHR Gold Coin. He had just bought it from a man that didn't like the grade he got from PCGS. I don't know what he paid him but I paid $1,300 for an MS68 and got everything that came with the coin from the mint, even the shipping box. I did buy the 2017 American Liberty 225th gold coin and the 1/10th version as well. I wasn't crazy about the gold 2019, but I liked the silver version that is 2.500 troy oz. I think I'll hold off gold purchases for a while.

11. GoldFinger1969

Great story, Jim....if you don't want to pay the premiums as opposed to the actual price of gold, there's always low-60's graded common Saints. Just bought an MS63 1915-S at FUN a few months back for maybe 5% over spot.

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Having a common date MS65 Saint, I bought a 2009 UHR MS70 PL for $2,200.00 & have no regrets for spending that kind of money on it :D.

1928 $20 MS65 CAC.jpg 1928 $20 Liberty, MS65.jpg
    2009 UHR PL, slab insert.jpg 2009 UHR, MS70 PL.jpg

13. GoldFinger1969

Great coins, Al...I have a raw 2009 UHR but want to buy a 2009 UHR 70PL. I actually didn't see that many at FUN so I just bought Saints and bullion.

A 1928 is on my "to buy" list. I have 1915-S, 1923-D, 1924, and 1927.

14. Al Kowsky

GoldFinger1969, 1928s aren't difficult to find. The one I own has a "green bean" sticker added. Finding nice examples before "gradeflation" are tough. I've seen recently graded MS64+ coins selling over $2,000.00 :jawdrop:!

15. GoldFinger1969

Right....1928's are pretty common (I was saying I didn't see that many 2009 UHR's @ FUN). I want to buy an MS65 or even MS66 1928 (probably a 65) when I get the 1928.

Should hit that chapter later this week or weekend. I'm up to the 1924-S's. :D

16. Al Kowsky

Happy Hunting
    smiley-looking-through-magnifying-glass.png

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted