2009 Ultra High Relief Double Gold Eagle?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phalanxcronos, Aug 22, 2012.

1. phalanxcronos

phalanxcronos Member

What's everyone's opinion on this coin? Currently they are selling at a high premium of $2500-$2700 non-graded and even more graded, but I'm reading they were minted to demand I can't find exact mintage but I read it sold 40,000 in the first 5days of sale so I can only assume even more then that was sold in total. The high resale it's currently selling for makes me wonder if the value will continue to increase or if people are buying them at the premium because they regretted not buying when they came out.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Simply put it is the most beautiful coin minted in the last century.
    [​IMG]

dwhiz likes this.
  4. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Its the same reason why people were spending upwards of $50-100 on the SanFran 75th Anniversary ASE set before it even went off sale and now are spending nearly double. There are some collectors, who for whatever reason, just don't buy at the first opportunity. The reasons could be many, laziness, procrastination, regret (as you mentioned)....maybe they don't like ordering online or from the mint. Even after a coin is minted to demand, there will always be a demand.....the question then becomes whether or not the supply can meet that demand and as the demand rises and the supply shrinks, the prices go up.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

$1,189 was the original price from the mint. I saw potential at the time. That and the fact that gold trades much higher now than when it did back in '09.......I plan on selling mine soon to augment my classic commem set.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. green18

Yeah? Well I remember when you was sellin' some of yours (gold)........:)

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The total mintage was something like 85,000 or 105,000. I ordered one on the first day of sales, when they were limited to one per account. It was $1,189 and I sold it in a few days for $1,600. The last day that they were for sale was December 31, 2009 and they went offsale at 5:00 PM eastern time. The Mint had been advertising that deadline for quite a while. At 4:58 PM I ordered six more and am mighty glad that I did.

9. green18

Ya gots more Monongahela's than me Tom........:)

Deeper pockets too. :)

[edit] I've got deep pockets but short arms......

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Mintage.....114,427

Sold mine.

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Anybody still buying these occasionally ?

Was thinking of buying one for my nieces graduation....want to be a graded one, figure MS-69 or MS-70. Numbers on each from PCGS or NGC ?

12. GoldFinger1969

Who owns this coin or has bought recently or is looking to buy ?

I have 1 raw and am considering a graded coin.

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well to answer your question I don't know what I do know is...... I sold mine for a lot more than I paid. Like double......and yes they are beautiful coins but ....... when you can double your money it's time to let go.......

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

I'm holding mine, and actually thinking of buying a TPG, probably an MS-69.

The pricing on some of the PL MS70's are ridiculous.

15. GoldFinger1969

Anybody bought or sold a UHR lately ?

16. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Buy her a "real" MS65 $20 Saint for less $$$. ;)

17. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

When they were originally released, I paid associates 10% above their purchase price to buy them for me, and I purchased the one allowed to myself. I've purchased the TPG certified since my original purchases, to have the coins in a more convenient storage "package", but again bought a couple in 2014 when I found them at $2150 still originally packaged complete. You can locate them currently at a better price, which I consider a "deal" because of their unique design/packaging.

Personally, it is the only coin I ever considered purchasing directly from the mint. I own 1907 MS63 St. Gaudens, 1921 MS63 Peace certified deep relief coins, and the 2009 UHR actually met the "hype", believed to have excelled beyond the beauty of the earlier designed/produced coins.

I constantly collect "scarce date" gem state St. Gaudens double eagles, but in my opinion, there isn't any comparison between the UHR and business strike St. Gaudens.

An incomparable Numismatic Golden "Gem"?

JMHO

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. GoldFinger1969

IM, do you have a 1907 HR Saint ?

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Yes, as aforestated, thus my enthusiastic anticipation of the 2009 UHR at virtually "Bargain Basement" pricing. As an Engineer, I wanted to see what changes were made to correct the technical problems experienced in the "original" St. Gaudens HR product, believed causing cessation of production.

Anyone viewing both coins with an understanding of the technical production challenges should appreciate the 2009 UHR product, especially with the ornate presentation packaging, and relatively stellar pricing.

JMHO

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  20. GoldFinger1969

I'm hoping to pick one of these up at FUN....maybe an MS70 PL. But the price for the "DPL" is ridiculous, exceeded only by the First Strike designations which don't mean anything on a coin that had a pretty high mintage.

21. GoldFinger1969

2 Ounce Ultra High Relief: I see that other mints have 2 ounce coins...was wondering what some of you though about the U.S. Mint making a 2 oz. UHR like the 2009 ?

The 2009 UHR is pretty small diamter-wise because of the thickness and high gold content. Doubling the gold amount would allow for a larger coin that would show the devices much more prominently.

Draft saved Draft deleted